Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I havent stopped back yet but I was sent this picture of the cluster..

The floor was ceramic over sheet vinyl over sheet vinyl over asbestos tiles over some sort of cement to level the slab. The remediation contractor took a lot of the concrete becuase it just popped up but this is not delaminating.

Gonna be a fun one....

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
Just pour in some colored dirt as a final floor and leave them a rake. :whistling

·
Registered
475 Posts
Because those layers were UNDER an asbestos containing floor tile they are not likely to be self leveling. Prior to the invention of SLC by Ardex in 1978 and for a long time afterward such floor leveling/filling/ramping/smoothing would simply have been done with screeds and trowels with cement based patch mixed with a latex liquid additive.

How well they swept, vacuumed and primed the substrate and each successive payer would determine how well each layer would bond. The mixture itself was comprised of variations of sand, cement and latex that could be extremely dense and solid or if it's a ****ty product and poorly mixed it could be soft and porous. Normally we'd be using something that came in 40 lbs bags but I've also see the patches done with home made batches of Portland cement, silica sand and liquid latex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-leveling_concrete

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Because those layers were UNDER an asbestos containing floor tile they are not likely to be self leveling. Prior to the invention of SLC by Ardex in 1978 and for a long time afterward such floor leveling/filling/ramping/smoothing would simply have been done with screeds and trowels with cement based patch mixed with a latex liquid additive.

How well they swept, vacuumed and primed the substrate and each successive payer would determine how well each layer would bond. The mixture itself was comprised of variations of sand, cement and latex that could be extremely dense and solid or if it's a ****ty product and poorly mixed it could be soft and porous. Normally we'd be using something that came in 40 lbs bags but I've also see the patches done with home made batches of Portland cement, silica sand and liquid latex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-leveling_concrete
You are right. Where the SLC is there was no Asbestos. The original post states
The floor was ceramic over sheet vinyl over sheet vinyl over asbestos tiles over some sort of cement to level the slab.
After I went to look I realized it was SLC and in that room there was no asbestos. The ceramic was continuous through 2 rooms and the remediation contractor removed all of it. The SLC that is left bonded to the previous layer. Where it was removed it stuck to the tile better than the previous layer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts