Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let's say you had to let in a 2x4 perpendicular to the studs in a lot of walls. Assuming all the 3 1/2x 1 1/2 notches had to be snug, do think its easier to cut all the notches w/ a circ saw individually, or rack the stud and try to gang cut w/ some sort of router setup? This is the desired outcome.

image-1502311586.jpg

·
Designer/Contractor
4,792 Posts
If by racking the stud you mean pre-cutting them all at once and then installing that's what I'd do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Id rack them and use something to gang cut them before install. The circular saw and chisel way would be quickest but it wouldn't be as neat as the example picture unless you made a bunch of passes. It would kill a router. maybe buy a cheapy but still goody and burn it up doing this job? It would be the neatest way. The only downfall to precutting is cutting some that don't need cut. Looks like the ones pictured were cut after the install cause I can see chalk on the uncut one to the right. It may be more accurate to cut in place though?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The knock out is out of the question, its just not clean enough, although that was my first thought. The racking idea i thought was the best, just didnt imagine a radial arm saw. The only problem i can see is some studs being high or low by an eighth and then you are at 1 5/8 or 1 3/8. Great responses though, thanks. We'll probably try a few different ways til we find the best. This build is a little out of the ordinary for us because of some of the methods the builder uses.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
y'all realize there was a point in time a 'Technique', to let in, was used twice on every exterior wall right????

Router, Radial Arm Saw, Dado blades. Framing or building cabinets??? I Do both .....

Gang the studs. Set saw to 1 5/8". Mark cut lines for the 2x4, using a 2x4. Make 1/4"-3/8" passes, in between the lines. Blast the kerf cuts out with a hammer. Use a chisel or your claw of hammer to quickly clean out the high spots. Check it with a piece of 2x4. LOL Can be done faster than getting a router out of the truck and setting it up. Will look just as good and even better covered with rock

Now if you want perfection set saw to 1.5", make very close passes. And clean out with a chisel, if needed. Will be just as effective as a dado and router.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,699 Posts
A lot of walls?

Hit up Craigslist for a cheap Craftsman Radial Arm saw... I see 'em going for $100 every day. Put a dado blade on it, set up a few stops on each side so you dont have to measure each time.
I just built a big lumber rack in the shop. Let in all the horizontals. I was too lazy to put the dado head on the radial arm, so I just cut kerfs ever 1/8-1/4" & chiseled em out. I clamped em together, 3 uprights at a time & made cuts for 4 horizontals on every upright. Took about 20 minutes to make 60 let ins.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
The knock out is out of the question, its just not clean enough, although that was my first thought. The racking idea i thought was the best, just didnt imagine a radial arm saw. The only problem i can see is some studs being high or low by an eighth and then you are at 1 5/8 or 1 3/8
You know what crowning is? You know how to gang flush/stack/match height on studs? Do you know what over engineering a solution is?

Sorry, I just can not fathom all this even being an issue. Picky/particular builder or not. Well carry and good luck :laughing:

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I just built a big lumber rack in the shop. Let in all the horizontals. I was too lazy to put the dado head on the radial arm, so I just cut kerfs ever 1/8-1/4" & chiseled em out. I clamped em together, 3 uprights at a time & made cuts for 4 horizontals on every upright. Took about 20 minutes to make 60 let ins.
Got any pics of the rack?

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Texas Wax said:
You know what crowning is? You know how to gang flush/stack/match height on studs? Do you know what over engineering a solution is?

Sorry, I just can not fathom all this even being an issue. Picky/particular builder or not. Well carry and good luck :laughing:
Well, sorry someone pissed in your wheates this morning! J/k. I know it seams ridiculous, just looking for the best methods thats all. You're probably right about over engineering a solution though, i tend to do that. Its a self-confidence issue

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Well, sorry someone pissed in your wheates this morning! J/k. I know it seams ridiculous, just looking for the best methods thats all. You're probably right about over engineering a solution though, i tend to do that. Its a self-confidence issue
Guess it just chapped my rear even choosing to read the thread. I'm a picky SOB believe me. Carried a radial arm saw while I was framing, been there done that. Circular saw and full passes to clean out is still more efficient. Especially if your careful how you line up your gang stack. No matter what you do getting the width tight and consistent to the let in 2x4 is going to be your biggest challenge. Dim lumber varies in dimensions ( milling and moisture) enough that really clean tight fitting joints is chasing your tail -creating more work than the material and the application need to look 'Outstanding'. Then it all dries out in the summer heat, even in Wisconsin - not so snug anymore ;). Diminishing returns on effort and time. Have had those BS 'discussions' with builders/GC's/Home Owners too about similar things. Yup chaps my a$$ :whistling

Builder sounds like a unique animal. Same one with the :jester:tree killing stair case?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts