Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a small caulking business and am having a hard time finding business and I need to hire an estimator . Any ideas

·
Registered
12,856 Posts
Maybe branch out a little. Unless you are doing large government or commercial jobs, I don't see much hope for a small caulking and weatherproofing company. I can caulk my own stuff. :whistling

·
Registered
349 Posts
Philadelphia, within city limits is Union heavy, so good luck with the big commercial jobs. I assume your talking about bulk caulking which is sort of a niche.
You need to get some GC contacts with the big commercial outfits in the burbs. We do maybe 2 bulk jobs a year, usually for apt complexes, universities, etc. Most of that comes from exisiting relationships with management cos. , other contractors etc.
Most of the small outfits I know are former union caulkers that went out on there own. It's feast or famine, again leads come from existing contacts.
It sounds like your best served to estimate your own work at this stage.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Yes every new construction involves caulking of. Windows. Doors. Concrete. Brick. Drywall
I do that myself when I install, repair or paint each of those.

I think you need to find a more viable niche.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

As mentioned earlier, on large jobs a sealant/caulking contractor is often hired.

Some of my jobs have $75,000 worth of caulking! That's on a huge job, but our average job is about $3,500 worth of caulking.

We buy all the window caulking with sider, but the brick caulking is usually hard to buy with a mason. That stuff gets expensive.:thumbsup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

It's a perfectly viable business, we have plenty of caulking companies here.

Although it seems as though we use more specialized trades than those south of the 49th.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It's a perfectly viable business, we have plenty of caulking companies here.

Although it seems as though we use more specialized trades than those south of the 49th.
I've never heard of such a thing. Not even when I lived in Edmonton....

I learned something new today!

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
We do a lot of this as well. Doing large commercial projects it made sense to add it to our scope. It's actually pretty good paying work once you get the hang of it. At first I was wondered what I signed up for but after the first job they all have been profitable.

The company's that only do it seem to be rough operations with lack of work so I couldn't imagine it being our only revenue stream.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts