Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a job up a hillside. The risers will be equal but do the landings have to be equal or can they simply conform to the hillside which will make them of different lengths?

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
TROMPER said:
Doing a job up a hillside. The risers will be equal but do the landings have to be equal or can they simply conform to the hillside which will make them of different lengths?
I assume by "landings" you mean treads. I don't know if the IRC covers landscaping projects, but this certainly sounds like a bonafide stairway on a residential property, so here goes:

R311.5.5 Stair treads and risers.
R311.5.3.1 Riser Height
The maximum riser height shall be 7-3/4 inches. The riser shall be measured vertically between leading edges of adjacent treads. The greatest riser height within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8".
R311.5.3.2 Tread Depth
The minimum tread depth shall be 10 inches. The tread depth shall be mesured horizontally between the vertical planes of the foremost projection of adjacent treads and at a right angle to the tread's leading edge. The greatest tread depth within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8". Winder treads shall have a minimum tread depth of 10 inches measured as above at a point 12 inches from the side where treads are narrower. Winder treads shall have a minimum depth of 6 inches at any point. Within any flight of stairs, the winder tread depth at the 12 inch walk line shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch.
Also, for every 12' you rise up, R311.5.4 does require that you have at least a 36" depth landing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Risers ?

mdshunk said:
I assume by "landings" you mean treads. I don't know if the IRC covers landscaping projects, but this certainly sounds like a bonafide stairway on a residential property, so here goes:

Also, for every 12' you rise up, R311.5.4 does require that you have at least a 36" depth landing.
Check with your local inspector, I read it you don't need a bld. permit. It's not residential (building) code exempts fences also. Chap 3 is for 1 & 2 family dwellings including things like decks, decks around above pools

1 - 3 of 3 Posts