Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a finish carpenter and spend most of my time over in that forum, but I just put an addition on an out building of mine and I am running some UF to it so I have lights and what not, but it would also be nice to run power tools off it. I know 14 awg is rated for 15 amps, but my question is how long of run is it rated for that? Will I be able to run things like a miter saw or job site table saw off it or is that too much? It is going to be about a 150 foot run to the panel. Maybe I should be posting this over at the DIYchatroom.....

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,045 Posts
Voltage drop is dependent on the load, so the larger the load (in amps), the shorter the wire can be and still maintain a usable voltage.

If you're installing wire that length to run power tools, do yourself (and your tools) a huge huge huge favor and get something really big, like 6 or 4.

·
Registered
151 Posts
6 or 4 is what I would run if I was installing a subpanel, but with what he describes I think it would be fine to just install 10. 10 will more than cover lighting and occasional power tool usage. Only reason I would go bigger is if the was gonna be using multiple tools at once, like a dc of some sort and a tool.

If you do plan on running tools out there frequently then install a subpanel and run 240 out there so you can have the tools on seperate circuits if needed (lighting too, stinks when you pop a breaker and lights go out). It is all pretty easy to do and figure out the requirements if you know where to look.

·
Registered
166 Posts
ghost,
have you been on a job and used a 100' 16 guage extension cord and fired up the wormdrive and have it drag and then hit full speed? get a sup panel and run some #6 3 wire + ground aluminum direct burial cable. you will have plenty of power and 22o at the outbuilding.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
... I just put an addition on an out building of mine and I am running some UF to it so I have lights and what not, but it would also be nice to run power tools off it. I know 14 awg is rated for 15 amps, but my question is how long of run is it rated for that? Will I be able to run things like a miter saw or job site table saw off it or is that too much? It is going to be about a 150 foot run to the panel.
IMHO, as long as you are digging a ditch ~ run some 1" - 1 1/2" conduit [PVC]....
- 1 for power
- 1 for tele/cable/data
- 1 as a spare

You may decide you need some heat/AC...a refrig., phone, TV, Internet, etc.

Why limit yourself?

You can leave 2 as spares and just use the 1 for your minimal power needs... as time goes by, you may decide you need/want the above mentioned.

I would go with a sub-panel in any case.....going back to the main house because a breaker tripped can be tiring and annoying during inclement weather.

Maybe I should be posting this over at the DIYchatroom.....
Why?

Contractors can help contractors out "out of trade" w/o having to go all "DIY", no?

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This "out building" is more like a larger shed. It is used to hold some tools, supplies and the lawn/garden equipment for around my home. It is by no means now, or ever will be a shop type building. Its only a 10 x 18 foot building....so you see, I am not looking for a ton of power, all I wanted was a set of lights and figured I could put an outlet to run a power tool off it of b/c, quite frankly, sometimes it is easier to park by it and work then to move the families cars to get access to the garage.... but if we are talking I should be running a heavy duty line, then it is not a real big deal...I was just wondering what I can pull on a 14 awg line....

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,045 Posts
If you were to load AWG 14 up to it's rated 15 amps, you would only have 106 volts at that distance. That's an 11.4% drop from 120volts.

In order to maintain the NEC suggested 3% drop, you would need AWG 8.

If you are only using 8 or 9 amps max, you could get by with AWG 10.

(In your OP, you wanted to know how far AWG 14 will carry 15 amps and still have <=3% drop? Ans. : 40 feet.)

Reactions: TBFGhost

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
This "out building" is more like a larger shed. It is used to hold some tools, supplies and the lawn/garden equipment for around my home. It is by no means now, or ever will be a shop type building. Its only a 10 x 18 foot building....so you see, I am not looking for a ton of power, all I wanted was a set of lights and figured I could put an outlet to run a power tool off it of b/c, quite frankly, sometimes it is easier to park by it and work then to move the families cars to get access to the garage.... but if we are talking I should be running a heavy duty line, then it is not a real big deal...I was just wondering what I can pull on a 14 awg line....

Listen to me...you're thinking too small here right now...one day, that shed [albiet a newer, bigger one] is going to be your man cave.

...but if you wanna cheap out on us [and yourself ] go with the single circuit setup.
A #10 min. as 480 detailed.

·
Baltimore Electrician
1,249 Posts
Even if you want to go with the single circuit, at least install conduits in the trench now. Not really a lot of money, but it sure beats re-opening that trench if you change your mind a couple of years down the road.

·
ampman
783 Posts
I am a finish carpenter and spend most of my time over in that forum, but I just put an addition on an out building of mine and I am running some UF to it so I have lights and what not, but it would also be nice to run power tools off it. I know 14 awg is rated for 15 amps, but my question is how long of run is it rated for that? Will I be able to run things like a miter saw or job site table saw off it or is that too much? It is going to be about a 150 foot run to the panel. Maybe I should be posting this over at the DIYchatroom.....
add way more than you will need now you will never regret it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts