Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
DAVE
7 Posts
Why the hell not? As long as the color of the leftover paint (primer) doesn't compromise the color of the paint. Their are some exceptions (KILLZ for water damage) but paint primer is just flat latex paint...All of these manufacterers claim they have paint with a primer in it! In all reality the new paints just cover better. I would say "YES" and if you are spraying primer add water to the paint. On the other hand, on bare drywall I use a primer, then a paint (never thinning either). On already painted surfaces I never use a primer at all. The cost of a pint more of paint outweighs the time and cost of priming a pre-painted surface.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,946 Posts
Paint is not primer. Primer is designed to sand easy, paint is not.

You might be able to use it, but some substrates really need a bonding primer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Using the paint for a primer coat on white wood that I'm using to trim a screen porch.
Totally agree some substrates such as new sheetrock requires a primer specifically formulated for sheetrock.

Can't always believe what you read.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Paint shouldn't be used as a primer. Primers are specifically made for adhesion and sealing. Self priming and paint & primer in one is a load of crap. Years ago we called adding primer to paint for colors that didn't cover a "split coat" which served as our first coat but it does nothing for priming.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Paint shouldn't be used as a primer. Primers are specifically made for adhesion and sealing. Self priming and paint & primer in one is a load of crap. Years ago we called adding primer to paint for colors that didn't cover a "split coat" which served as our first coat but it does nothing for priming.
+1. Using old paint to prime is penny wise and pound foolish. A good primer (I use a long of Zinsser 123) greatly improves the paintability of many surfaces.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Does that also mean you can use primer for paint? Each has specific qualities and do specific things. And really how are you saving aren't your customers buying your paint and primers.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does that also mean you can use primer for paint? Each has specific qualities and do specific things. And really how are you saving aren't your customers buying your paint and primers.
I had some leftover paint from a recent job. I was thinking of using it to prime white wood on my house, not a customers house.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Leftover Paint Used As Primer?

Using the paint for a primer coat on white wood that I'm using to trim a screen porch.
Totally agree some substrates such as new sheetrock requires a primer specifically formulated for sheetrock.

Can't always believe what you read.

I would think the opposite of that. Painted exterior wood needs primer more so than Sheetrock IMO.

Many paints are specced to go directly on new Sheetrock including Superpaint, Regal, Aura, etc., etc.

Not nearly as many are specced for direct application to ext wood.

Anybody that's painted much has probably seen a failure or two caused by not priming exterior wood.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Paint is paint. Primer is primer. Specially outside. Sure i'll hit a ceiling with a couple coats of flat and call it good. But not outside.

Paint has additives that primer doesn't and vise versa. Primer doesn't have long lasting UV and water protection like pigmented paint.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
I think the answer to this depends on the paint and the application. Not even all primers give good enough adhesion - the number of paints that can also give good results as a primer in a given situation is usually very limited. Behr ultra paint+primer on new drywall is an example.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mix some Emulsa Bond in and have at it. I use old latex flat paint as primer on non-critical areas like an old fence or areas that aren't that important.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It's important to note that I consider all areas of a job important. In the above post, I wasn't referring to Emulsa Bond as an end all solution, nor as a substitute to primers. I occasionally use Emulsa Bond in combination with leftover latex paint as an adhesive first coat for color changes on sound surfaces or for sealing non visual areas.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts