Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is the story.

I had a lunch appointment today with a local restoration company. It took me a couple of weeks to pin this guy down for lunch. I get there a little early and got a table then waited.

At 15 minutes after the set time I called to see if he was running late. He tells me " oh ya I was meaning to call and let you know I was going out of town today and can not make lunch" So I tell him that I am at the restaurant as we speak. He tells me we should try again next week. So I says what day and where . He tells me to call him on Tuesday. I did not even get an apology.

My question to you all is do I keep trying to meet up with this guy or bag it. I am not sure if he is just so busy that he has a hard time meeting with me or am I getting a the brush off?

The work would be nice as it would be insurance work which is not affect by the state of the economy. But I can get by with out it.

Mark

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Why make it a lunch meeting? Simply set an early appointment at his office or a potential jobsite, and sell yourself on the work.

I have said this before....I don't like "sales" over a meal. Lunch is lunch...with the guys I work with, subs, established customers, friends. Not someone trying to sell me on something. It is awkward at best, and how do you hard sell for half an hour? Have anything in common with this guy? Anything you say during lunch trying to establish a common ground could also be misconstrued.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
unfortunately i have been on the side of the restoration company. I have had to do this before as we get to busy and it is a brush off move. Sorry to hear it. Im sure it was meant well, but things picked up for him and he became busy and trusts the people he has on staff currently.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was my first official blow off. If I do not want to talk too or meet with someone I tell them very politely. You never know someday you may want to talk to them so why burn your bridges.

Luckily the food at this place is good. If you are ever in Ogden try Lee's Mongolian BBQ.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Ouch, that stings. If it took you a long time to set that lunch appointment and he flaked I would say he is not very interested in meeting with you.

Personally, I don't like meeting over lunch. I have salesmen wanting to take me to lunch (their treat) to show me products and I always have them meet me at my current jobsite instead. Maybe it's just me?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
According to Zig Zigglar it means a sure sale when you get stood up! I go stood up a few weeks ago and followed his advice and close the sale later that day. Maybe just coincidence maybe not?

·
Registered
141 Posts
According to Zig Zigglar it means a sure sale when you get stood up! I go stood up a few weeks ago and followed his advice and close the sale later that day. Maybe just coincidence maybe not?
To be fair...that is Zig's brother's advice ;) IMO, if he is this hard to get a hold of for a free lunch...wait till he owes you money!

·
Registered
992 Posts
OK here is the story.

I had a lunch appointment today with a local restoration company. It took me a couple of weeks to pin this guy down for lunch. I get there a little early and got a table then waited.

At 15 minutes after the set time I called to see if he was running late. He tells me " oh ya I was meaning to call and let you know I was going out of town today and can not make lunch" So I tell him that I am at the restaurant as we speak. He tells me we should try again next week. So I says what day and where . He tells me to call him on Tuesday. I did not even get an apology.

My question to you all is do I keep trying to meet up with this guy or bag it. I am not sure if he is just so busy that he has a hard time meeting with me or am I getting a the brush off?

The work would be nice as it would be insurance work which is not affect by the state of the economy. But I can get by with out it.

Mark
I would of told him to burn in hell. Why would you deal with a piece of [email protected] like that. He cant even call and say he cant make it?

He dosent respect you at all. You would never do that to someone you respect.

Then not apologize?
Move on

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
How many of you guys have been the target of a lunch presentation, or worse, buying lunch for a guy you have nothing in common with, and suffering the awkwardness of trying to find something, anything to talk about.....or had someone extol their product or service to you, when you really don't want to listen to it non stop for half an hour?

Maybe we should dedicate a thread to this, but my vote will remain unchanged....no sales lunches, unless you have a relationship with the vendor/sub/client before hand.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
If the sales person is any good at being a sales person, 2/3 of the lunch will be about everything and anything but the business at hand. There will be no akward silences, no stumbles. He will find common ground with you and make you feel like you are the most important person in the world. You'll talk about sports, the weather, current events, local happenings etc...

Think of how you would be on a 1st date with the intent of scoring that evening. That's what every sales lunch meeting should be like for the salesperson. (minus the sex) :laughing:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I will be the lone dissenter then Mike.....I don't like sales presentations.....and when I am selling a job, it is all business....anyone else?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I don't like sales presentations.....
Now why didn't that suprise me? :whistling

I gotcha pretty figured out, I know what you mean and understand completely. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will be the lone dissenter then Mike.....I don't like sales presentations.....and why I am selling a job, it is all business....anyone else?

Ditto that. The best sales guys on the ones that stay on task. I don't have time to chit chat. Plus, I really don't care to talk to a stranger about my kids and our vacation.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Ditto that. The best sales guys on the ones that stay on task. I don't have time to chit chat. Plus, I really don't care to talk to a stranger about my kids and our vacation.
No, the best sales guys are the ones who sell and make a lot of money by controlling you and the situation.

You might like the ones who play it your way, but those are the poor ones. Those are the salespeople without a clue.

In sales you have to adjust your techinques based on who you are talking to. You size them up, figure out their personality and you adjust your delivery to the personality you are in front of. The 'best' sales guy would size you up in a few moments and realize your personality is a down to business type person and adjust his technique to appeal to you. He'd move things along a little quicker, probably skip alot of the details in the beginning and hit the main features, points and benefits to fill up your demand for those items right in the beginning. Pretty soon he'd sense you relaxing a bit and you'd start asking more detail oriented questions and he would continue to control the situation by shifting his technique now that he has you warmed up and now start shifting toward more detailed responses and begin popping in a few questions here and there all the while filling in the blanks on who you are and how best to sell to you.

That's the 'best' sales guy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
No, the best sales guys are the ones who sell and make a lot of money by controlling you and the situation.

You might like the ones who play it your way, but those are the poor ones. Those are the salespeople without a clue.

In sales you have to adjust your techinques based on who you are talking to. You size them up, figure out their personality and you adjust your delivery to the personality you are in front of. The 'best' sales guy would size you up in a few moments and realize your personality is a down to business type person and adjust his technique to appeal to you. He'd move things along a little quicker, probably skip alot of the details in the beginning and hit the main features, points and benefits to fill up your demand for those items right in the beginning. Pretty soon he'd sense you relaxing a bit and you'd start asking more detail oriented questions and he would continue to control the situation by shifting his technique now that he has you warmed up and now start shifting toward more detailed responses and begin popping in a few questions here and there all the while filling in the blanks on who you are and how best to sell to you.

That's the 'best' sales guy.
That sounds like a great sale's person who is very on task.

·
I like Green things
23,068 Posts
I do believe Mike nailed it. I like to find out people's interests, hobbies, about their kids, all the little things that you can connect with. All the while sizing them up and thinking about the best way to get the papers signed.

I dislike and get very bored with a straight forward 30 minute sales pitch. Connect with the persons interests and desires, then sell them that bathroom!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts