Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hey Mac,you can get one down at Maverick hardware, off four corners, behind the Danner/Carhartts place.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Stanley makes a tape that has numbers on both sides of the top edge so it reads right no matter which way you pull it.

My dad and I are slightly dyslexic and with this tape we don't have to try to read upside down. It has reduced the number of mistakes we make while measuring.

·
It's all about the Avatar
1,814 Posts
Yeh.... there are some good tools out there for the south paws.....the girls high heal hammer makes a left handed hammer and stelco is now making left handed toe nails....:laughing:

·
Contractor
4,656 Posts
I can't help w/ the LH tape, but can relate a story about using metric tapes. A long time ago I was given a dually tape (I made up the name)-with the metric scale easy to read on the bottom of the tape. It was very easy to use for woodworking projects. for instance, if I need to divide 3'8 1/4" into five equal segmants, it's a lot easier to divide 112cm by four than it is the fractional inches by four :)

unfortunately, I haven't found an easy to read metric tape on the market plus it's not that easy to yell out "Hank, cut me four 325cm studs"

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
:laughing::laughing:Never seen one... But I have sent the "new" guy out to the truck for the left handed crescent wrench once or twice.....

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
:laughing::laughing:Never seen one... But I have sent the "new" guy out to the truck for the left handed crescent wrench once or twice.....
My old man (who hates the fact that I use so many tools) asked me why I had so many hammers. I told him I need one for my right hand and one for the left hand when I'm in tight corners.

The best?

The left hander screwdriver!

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
The ONLY way is DEAD_ON!
77 Posts
South Paws!

Damn, you guys are ROUGH on us south paws!

But as one other poster noted, FastCap has an awesome lefty tape. My Pop gave me one cause I was TOO dyslexic! I agree, they don't have dual printed numbers, ie. Righty/Lefty reading numbers. I have seen one, and I am trying to remember who makes it, but the numbers are oriented vertically on the tape, like a Transit Rule, that, at least for me, is easier to read whether I am pulling left or right.

And don't ask me to "Burn an Inch!" Or I will leave it laying on the saw, attached to the "scrap" piece!:censored::furious:

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
My Pop gave me one cause I was TOO dyslexic!

Wow! That's a coincidence!

I'm Lexdyslic!

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Actually im pretty sure most people mark with thier right and hold thier tape with thier left. I know thats how i do it. My right hand has more dexterity so i need it to make my marks acurate.

·
Cabinetmaker
672 Posts
FASTCAP makes em and YES they work great. Left tapes are for righthanders who hold tape in left hand and pull from right end to the left as I do. Tape is left and pencil in my right and all numbers are right side up.
I guess I should not even mention left and right handed circular saws right? :}:}:whistling

·
Registered
288 Posts
Actually im pretty sure most people mark with thier right and hold their tape with thier left.
I'm a righty, and that's how I've always done it.

It seems like, when I'm framing, I'm always turning any which way to take measurements. So I end up on either side of the tape.

I've gotten in the habit of always mentally double checking my "upside-down awareness" before marking. After a while it happens instantly and automatically. (You remember to check your sixes and nines, and also check which side of the number you're on so you don't "inch" yourself.)

When you're moving around and cutting in every position possible, you develop a sense of mental "omnidirectionalism" that comes in handy.

But in a shop, I could see how it could be annoying to always be upside down with your tape.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Alright, you guys made me go out to the truck and check and all our tapes have upside down numbers. It must be because the imperial fractions take up so much space. As for calling out stud lengths, I can see how it might seem wierd to you all but we work in mm so thirtytwofifty would be the call. Only dress makers work in centimeters.ha ha. If you are having trouble reading metric tapemeasures, it's probably because they are in centimeters. They are a nightmare. If they read 100,200 etc. with 10,20,30 etc in between, all mm, you will find it much easier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All of us leftys are different. For me the FatMax tape measure is no problem in either hand. I prefer using a lefty circular saw in my right hand. I write left handed but throw and swing hammers right handed. I also b$tchslap lefty haters with my right hand... they never see it comin!:w00t:

·
Registered
9 Posts
left handed tape

look up fastcap

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow! You guys measure stuff? :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
lefty tape measure

Anyone interested in the difference between a right handers vs. a left handers tape measures should check out the Lee Valley and Veritas catalog. In addition to the left and right tapes they also have blindman's tapes for us older carpenters who don't always their glasses handy. Check them out at leevalley.com.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Another Lefty for FastCap Lefty/Right tape. Comes in 16' & 25'. I have had the 25' foot for a couple of years and I am on my second one. For a Lefty I haven't found a better tape. Also, it is marked out in 1/16 ths and each sixteenth is labeled.

ww.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=157&idcategory=12

21 - 40 of 82 Posts