Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a decent left handed tape measure? By decent, I'm looking for a FatMax Extreme type (11-12' standout). I'm always holding the tape measure in my left hand, hooking on the right and pulling to the left.

I know I've seen some that were good for interior work (< 20' long, delicate tape) but nothing that would work on my jobsites.

Always looking for a better way...

Thanks guys,

Mac

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I don't know of any, - - but maybe a pair of reverse-refractory eye-glass lenses??, - - you just gotta make sure you don't make all left-version decks . . . :laughing: J/K

Maybe China has 'em, - - don't they read from right to left?? :laughing:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Left handed tape measure has numbers printed so that when tape is pulled from right to left, numbers are not upside down.

My FatMax works just fine for me in either hand as well ... like I said, I'm always looking for a better way.

Mac

·
Assistant bulb changer
396 Posts
I was going to chime in say that they Lowe's keeps them next to the metric hammers.:w00t: JK, I wasn't aware they even made such a thing, but I just looked it up, and I guess they do. I can't find anything that looks good quality, though.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Yeah, - - I've actually heard of 'em before, - - but I've never actually seen one. Seems like it would actually be confusing, - - just think of when you have to pull from the left with it . . . :eek:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was actually looking at the tape measure on that site - I might pick it up and keep it by my cut table. I don't think it would have the standout I need when I'm up on the structural framing but for cutting blocking, posts, treads, etc, it might do the trick.

I can only assume Ned's a lefty? I know jack about the Simpsons - my boy likes it though...

Mac

·
Assistant bulb changer
396 Posts
i was actually looking at the tape measure on that site - I might pick it up and keep it by my cut table. I don't think it would have the standout I need when I'm up on the structural framing but for cutting blocking, posts, treads, etc, it might do the trick.

I can only assume Ned's a lefty? I know jack about the Simpsons - my boy likes it though...

Mac
Yeah, Ned opened a store called the Leftorium or something like that.

I saw that particular tape on some other site. Looks kind of chincy (standout). Plus, it seems like a waste since one side is laid out metric. Seems to defeat the purpose.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd always considered normal tape measures to be left handed because the tape is right side up when held in the right hand, which leaves your left hand free to mark with.
anyways, if you want a tape measure that is the reverse of normal, Lee Valley has their "right hand" tapes
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32563&cat=1,43513
I can make marks easier and more precise if I'm holding the pencil in my right hand and the tape in my left. (I'm right-handed)

I appreciate the link, that's what I was looking for. For the price, I'll pick up one and play with it.

Mac

·
Registered
523 Posts
Can't help ya with a tape measure bud, but I have a great pair of left handed tongs you can use when BARBquin!! :w00t:

LOL!! I worked in the restaurant biz for too long my friend... Sorry!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mac,

Fastcap makes a "lefty/righty" Quality is o.k. I don't think it has a coating on the tape. Warranty is great, I broke two in two years doing finish work. They replaced them no questions asked.

Eddy

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree with tempest, i can use the tape in either hand but i am left handed and prefer my pencil in the left hand. maybe you need a right handed tape, lol. us leftys know what your up against though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
just got one in the mail today for an old boss' christmas present:thumbsup:, oh the years I heard him go on and on about eveything being made for righties:laughing:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts