Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time finding out what is done to a house to make it Leed certified. I am building a new house in Dallas and it says under their IRC ammendments " be LEED-certifiable under the LEED for homes standard;"

What does this mean? What is done to the house to get this "certification"? What is the minium things that you need to do to a house to get leed certified without getting the silver gold or platinum cerfitications.?

·
Designer/Contractor
5,665 Posts
I am having a hard time finding out what is done to a house to make it Leed certified. I am building a new house in Dallas and it says under their IRC ammendments " be LEED-certifiable under the LEED for homes standard;"

What does this mean? What is done to the house to get this "certification"? What is the minium things that you need to do to a house to get leed certified without getting the silver gold or platinum cerfitications.?
Maybe go to the building department and see if they have any handouts that specify what is going to be required to be compliant.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Typically for LEED certification the project is registered with the USGBC before the construction begins. I've only been involved in commercial type projects and not with homes, so I'm not sure what's required in your situation.

The way I'm reading your question is that it's recommended to build according to LEED standards, but not necessarily registering the project?

http://www.usgbc.org/articles/getting-know-leed-homes-design-and-construction

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Typically for LEED certification the project is registered with the USGBC before the construction begins. I've only been involved in commercial type projects and not with homes, so I'm not sure what's required in your situation.

The way I'm reading your question is that it's recommended to build according to LEED standards, but not necessarily registering the project?

http://www.usgbc.org/articles/getting-know-leed-homes-design-and-construction
Its my understanding that the house does not need to be certified with LEED, but must be built to those standards. They say "certifiable" in the city of dallas requirements.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
See if you can borrow a leed for homes reference guide and see what's required. Might not be that big of a deal. Check the local library first, or buy a used copy on eBay/half.com and resell it after you're done with it. You might find all the requirements for free online as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts