Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many deck builders have a building department that is requiring these?

Diagram Technical drawing Circuit component Technology Drawing

I haven't had to yet, I was just wondering who has.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,457 Posts
Not here yet.

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
Californiadecks said:
How many deck builders have a building department that is requiring these? I haven't had to yet, I was just wondering who has.
In NJ that was omitted in the code. Thank God we don't have to deal with this none sense.

·
Registered
15,325 Posts
Fema determined that these were considered sesmic so if your not sesmic you dont need them but...........Simpson says human occupants create just as much lateral movement so it should be done. Cheap insurance if the inside is unfinished or accessible.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Tom M said:
Fema determined that these were considered sesmic so if your not sesmic you dont need them but...........Simspon says human occupants create just as much lateral movement so it should be done. Cheap insurance if the inside is unfinished or accessible.
How would that explain how I need them in SE PA, but Cali doesn't?

Text Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
15,325 Posts
I dont know thats what I was explained, and is noted in your link. I think many municpals have chosen not to enforce it yet. My last seminar many inspectors were confused because the code & fema said one thing but our state determined it didnt apply to us. The wrench was the information from simpson that showed humans creating greater forces.

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/publications/pdf_ccc/ccc_2011_fall.pdf

Unless something changed from 2011, but going back to last fall I dont think so.
Thanks for that link Tom :thumbsup:

When I first saw that requirement and everyone was talking about the pain in the A$$ it was... I stopped at the township and the building inspector and he told me it was omitted... So just to make sure (as you know one says yes, the other says no) I called the DCA to make sure and they told me that it was omitted.

·
GC/carpenter
43,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kambrooks said:
Yeah and they're a real pain when joists are engineered and not dimensional.
So Kam, if they're engineered joists do you just fill the webbing with solid blocks first?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts