Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do?

I'm staying in a rental unit that my sister owns. Its all kinds of messed up but the primary issue at hand is the foundation of a porch bump out turned bed room. I'm curious if i can attach a ledger for a relatively small live/dead load to the granite block of the foundation. The top course of granite blocks are good sized, roughly 3' tall x 6' wide. There wouldn't be any direct water exposure which is on my side. I could use Grk Concrete, Epoxy, etc...

I will only do this if I can't weave some beams ontop of the sill and cut away joists to make a flush mount beam situation.

Blue is New in the image:

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
43,592 Posts
Why does the ledger need to be that long? It only need to be at the beam location to accept a bucket or heavy Duty hanger for that beam.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why does the ledger need to be that long? It only need to be at the beam location to accept a bucket or heavy Duty hanger for that beam.
Absolutely. I drew it long to show it spanning more granite than just a point load and help diagram the concept. If i were to pin to granite I'd probably do at least 4'.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not put a post on each side of the beam. And don't bother with the beam on the left. Why is that even there
I cannot post underneath the existing bump out. I drew the beam on the left because I was thinking about where I can and cannot access easily for digging.

I don't need the beam on the left. I put it there because I was thinking about trying to take 3" out of level in 8' without popping tiles off the floor. Don't really care if that happens though. Its a horrendous tile job! I'll post photos...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts