Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Justin K
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched through this forum without any luck answering my question (even though it seems I've seen something on this before).

I'm going to be building a deck and the house has trusses with OSB for sheathing. What is the proper way to attach a ledger board to trusses.

I bid the job as a free standing deck, but just checking to see if there is a better way

Thanks!

·
Registered
818 Posts
You're building a deck on the roof? Or floor trusses? Doesn't the house have a band board?

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
I have searched through this forum without any luck answering my question (even though it seems I've seen something on this before).

I'm going to be building a deck and the house has trusses with OSB for sheathing. What is the proper way to attach a ledger board to trusses.

I bid the job as a free standing deck, but just checking to see if there is a better way

Thanks!
If I'm understanding you correctly, the "truss system" you're referring to is a floor system? If so, there are multiple choices with several differences existing between each. There should be a way to make a lateral load connection between the deck joists and the existing floor system.

I have, in the past, built decks that were completely free-standing, not tied to the house with a ledger board.

Also, some excellent advise found in this publication.

·
Justin K
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Floor trusses made of 2x4s. There isn't anything between the truss & the sheathing, there is a ribbon joist or any meat to tie to

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Floor trusses made of 2x4s. There isn't anything between the truss & the sheathing, there is a ribbon joist or any meat to tie to
You must have at least a 1 inch thick band joist to attach a ledger to. This is only found on I-joists, not web trusses (which it seems is what you have). If this is the case, and you do have I-joists with a sufficient rim joist (it appears it probably isn't), you will then have to provide blocking for a minimum of 6 feet into the truss floor system, that is if the trusses are perpendicular to the deck joists. Next you will have to provide the lateral load connection, of which I provided a link in my above post. This of course would ensue if you didn't build it free-standing.

Also, check out this article.

Sounds as though you will probably have to build it free-standing, which certainly entails some specific requirements be met in order to build safely.

·
Justin K
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I'm understanding you correctly, the "truss system" you're referring to is a floor system? If so, there are multiple choices with several differences existing between each. There should be a way to make a lateral load connection between the deck joists and the existing floor system.

I have, in the past, built decks that were completely free-standing, not tied to the house with a ledger board.

Also, some excellent advise found in this publication.
Thanks so much, that second link has a lot of useful info!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
the floor truss will have a 2 x band at the top of the truss lag to it.
if there is not one call the truss co you can get that info from the building dept by way of the permit that was pulled when it was built

·
General Contractor
8,077 Posts
Most floor truss systems don't have a rim joist attached to them, therefore like Mike said, you should ask your Architect to give you detail how to attach the Ledger.

Most likely he will have you put bolts at each vertical web or use
thru- bolts, and you have to make sure none of the web or plates on it get damaged... but again, when it comes to Engineered flooring, you should always talk to the Architect first to determine the truss system design, because if failure occurs it will be on you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts