Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a look at a deck today. Pretty old. Everything looks ok except for a 3 foot section of the ledger that is pulling away from the house.

To be honest, I think it may be have been somehow built with that small portion of the ledger away from the house (meaning it hasn’t really pulled away - more just built that way). Because the joists are all toe nailed into the beams and those haven’t moved.

Ideas on best ways to fix this WITHOUT removing the nail connection holding all joists to the beans and shifting the deck toward the house on that end?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have included in the first post that the reason I’m looking at this is because there’s a big squeaking noise when you step in that area. Upon investigation, I found the big gap (don’t even know if that’s causing the squeak but it needs to be fixed). And when someone steps on that section, you can see the ledger in that area flex down.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
you could try to draw it in with a couple more bolts and plates or large washers, but it's only as good as what's behind it. A thru bolt of significant size would be best

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
you could try to draw it in with a couple more bolts and plates or large washers, but it's only as good as what's behind it. A thru bolt of significant size would be best
I would add some pressure to the outside edge of the deck when you try and pull it in. Just a simple spring brace would help things move more
I drove a ledgerlok in just to see if it moved even a tiny bit.

Didn’t budge.

I’m thinking that it was built this way (evidenced by the fact that the joists are nailed to the beam, and there is no Evidence of them having moved at all)

So driving a larger bolt into the ledger may snug the ledger against the house, but it may also simply pull the joists off of the ledger (on that side - because they’re nailed to the beams).

·
Registered
911 Posts
It would be interesting to see what it looks like to put a long straight edge right under the ledger along the wall there. If it was built that way I'd bet there is a big bump there. If the deck rim joist is straight I think it's safe to assume it was.

·
Registered
13,225 Posts
DDT's with threaded rod OR Place a carriage bolt in the ledger with a washer planned so a single ddt can grab it on a joist and then crank it in.

Not sure if this is a factor but Many times with sliding doors the rim joist loses the benefit of a wall, plates, floor and associated weight above it to resist wiggling away

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'd want to 100% sure it needs to suck in before doing it or you'll just be putting a lot of work into creating another problem. if it doesn't need to suck in you may want to slide some straight shims up behind it and suck it in with another lag or two. it may fix the squeak if there is some flex happening there on the existing lag.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be interesting to see what it looks like to put a long straight edge right under the ledger along the wall there. If it was built that way I'd bet there is a big bump there. If the deck rim joist is straight I think it's safe to assume it was.
Yep rim joist is straight.

DDT's with threaded rod OR Place a carriage bolt in the ledger with a washer planned so a single ddt can grab it on a joist and then crank it in.

Not sure if this is a factor but Many times with sliding doors the rim joist loses the benefit of a wall, plates, floor and associated weight above it to resist wiggling away
Sliding glass door right above it. Interesting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd want to 100% sure it needs to suck in before doing it or you'll just be putting a lot of work into creating another problem.
I can’t be sure it “needs” to, but I’m not super comfortable leaving a gap there. Especially because when someone walks there, I can visually see the ledger bounce down and then back up.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I can’t be sure it “needs” to, but I’m not super comfortable leaving a gap there. Especially because when someone walks there, I can visually see the ledger bounce down and then back up.
That's why I'm thinking you need to pack the gap with something like a rip of 2x4 at the end and maybe one 12" in at whatever thickness it needs to be so the ledger can still be sucked tight even if it isn't against the rim joist. Assuming it doesn't need to move of course...

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,639 Posts
Temp up the joists pull that section out and reinstall a thicker ledger. You may need to cut a few joists back to get maybe a doubler in there or a 3x. Then hanger it off.

Mike.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,107 Posts
Yupp^^^^ CaliDecks has the answer^^^:thumbsup:

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Temp up the joists pull that section out and reinstall a thicker ledger. You may need to cut a few joists back to get maybe a doubler in there or a 3x. Then hanger it off.

Mike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts