Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about charging different rates based on the type of work.
I do some concrete work, for my own jobs, usually 3 or 4 a year. The concrete guys charge more.

Same with the window installers.

How many of you use a variable rate based on the type of work being done?

If so how do you learn of the rates that others are using?

I have my rate that I need to cover wages,fixed and variable overhead, and profit.

There are some areas where I could make more though.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have my rate that I need to cover wages,fixed and variable overhead, and profit.
If your rates are covering that, and you are getting the work, it sounds like you are doing OK. Just because some other contractor might have asked more doesn't mean he would have got it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sometimes it's just better to hire a sub for the 3 or 4 times a year you need a specialized job done. Make your money in GC markup and save yourself the specialized tools and training. Even an poor tile setter is faster and better than I am and I could have saved $500 in tile saws. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem I have is in my rural area to find guys willing to do the small jobs.

Most guys who specialize in a certain area want jobs that are a little larger. Which I completely understand, better use of time = more money made.

·
Registered
967 Posts
In that case you should charge the same price on everything. Enough to cover O&P.

There are only so many billable hours in a year so you need to bill accordingly.

"Capacity based markup"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts