Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own one or both of these two multi tools? Or any suggestions on others? Those two stood out to me. Leatherman has a t shank attachment which is interested for a saw blade. Gerber has a cool screw driver tool, which has always been a weak spot in multi tools (there is a bit adaptor for the Leatherman which makes it look pretty functional too, but adds an extra piece)

Between work, doing projects at home and the occasional outdoor adventure, owning a good multi tool is seeming like a smart idea lately. I bet I waste a lot of time in a year walking to get a tool for something quick and simple. Not sure I could ever get used to lugging one around either though.

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
IMO, keep it simple.

too many "tools" on the piece tends to be cumbersome & cluttered and a guy tries to do too much with their limited abilities.

i have found the pliers and a sharp blade were the most used with the screwdrivers a distant finisher.

i carried a leatherman for about 15 years. one day the case ripped off my belt and i never fixed it or carried one again.

now, a good pocketknife...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
I buy the cheap knock-offs due to the use I give a multi tool. One thing I don't like is the screwdriver tip that has extra tips...they will fall out and get lost. Then you don't have a screwdriver, which after the knife, is the number one used tool for me.

·
Registered
26,178 Posts
All my multitools are now relegated to a drawer.

I carry a lightweight utility knife with a Lennox gold blade and the belt clip removed.

If I stopped destroying blades all the time, I'd carry a pocket knife.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
4,905 Posts
I carry a Leatherman Surge everyday.

I use the knife, pliers, and screwdrivers constantly.

I had a Victorinox when I was a kid. When it got stolen, I went with Leatherman. Much more durable.

I have tools near me constantly, so the multi-tool is just for quick stuff. I don’t beat it up too bad, but it’s still very durable.

·
Artist and not a curator
10,111 Posts
I carry a Leatherman Surge everyday.

I use the knife, pliers, and screwdrivers constantly.

I had a Victorinox when I was a kid. When it got stolen, I went with Leatherman. Much more durable.

I have tools near me constantly, so the multi-tool is just for quick stuff. I don’t beat it up too bad, but it’s still very durable.
I use my leatherman all the time and beat the everloving piss out of it. Been carrying one on me everyday for the past 10 or so years. I bought the Gerber one once when I had mine taken because I forgot it was on me. It was a pos. I use the screwdriver, pliers, knives, and file often. Occasionally I use the saw on it for small things like cutting a small hole in drywall or something.

Mine is the wave. The only gripe about it is the button doesn't stay attached on the case. The leather case was much better than the cloth one.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,083 Posts
I've been carrying a Leatherman for at least 25 years. It actually has higher priority than my keys or wallet. Been through a couple of different models, had them repaired/replaced at no cost a couple of times.

I don't need one that has enough gadgets to weigh 3 pounds. Knife, pliers, screwdrivers and file are the only must-haves for me. I seldom get through a day without using it.

Deckhead, you can get a leather case on Amazon. The Wave I carry currently was a pretty snug fit for the case I bought, but it didn't take too long for it to wear in.

·
Design Build
4,107 Posts
I have a Leatherman, two Gerbers, and a Schrade................

so why do I want this one so bad?

AMAZON LINK

Reactions: TheConstruct

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I was almost having a change of heart until I read the last few replies. Really what I'd like is a decent screw driver, knife, wood saw blade, file and something to open paint cans with. I don't need scissors or cork screws or a harmonica or any any other silly sh!t.

·
Artist and not a curator
10,111 Posts
Well I was almost having a change of heart until I read the last few replies. Really what I'd like is a decent screw driver, knife, wood saw blade, file and something to open paint cans with. I don't need scissors or cork screws or a harmonica or any any other silly sh!t.
I actually use the scissors pretty often. Mostly to cut my toe nails but they are useful.

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts

·
Registered
26,178 Posts
Every time I see a new one, I think I should get it. Then I come to my senses.:laughing:

OTOH, I have a whole collection of screnches and they're very useful, so Multitools just have to fit what you do.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have several Leatherman's; Surge, Charge TTi, and Wave. Carry them in OEM cases which also have room for a small flashlight. Super handy for quick jobs...saves steps, time and things get done instead of put off. Flashlights get much use. These cases are similar to mine https://www.leatherman.com/nylon-sheath-w-pockets-549.html?cgid=sheaths#start=1

Surge is great but a bit heavy, wear it when I'm in the woods far from the toolbox. https://www.leatherman.com/surge-3.html?dwvar_3_color=10&cgid=#q=surge&start=1

Charge TTi is the daily around town choice... lighter, feels better in my hand but pricey. https://www.leatherman.com/charge-tti-7.html#

Wave is worn around the house (Charge is still on my work jeans). My Wave is over 20 years old, the new ones look better. https://www.leatherman.com/wave-10.html?dwvar_10_color=11&cgid=#q=wave&start=1

I've worn sheaths out. Rivetted the belt loop back on to the Surge sheath and now I pad the bottom of the nylon sheaths where they wear through. Probably should just by a bunch of spares but....meh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts