Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , so I started out with the Marshalltown dura soft hated them it makes my hand hurt , i used a plastic handle M-Town it was a lot better but a couple months ago i bought my first Rose ( love it ) with a leather handle . The leather feels kind of weird and looks like it is dry , How do you guys maintain your leather handles ? Also would you recommend a plastic handle Rose Trowel ?

Trowel Tool

- my leather rose brand new

Tobacco products Material property

- a plastic handle rose that caught my eye ( feels good too)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have used rose for quite a few years with a leather handle. I never put anything on it but I did replace the handle on my oldest with a blue plastic because I had worn out the wooden part of it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wazez said:
I have used rose for quite a few years with a leather handle. I never put anything on it but I did replace the handle on my oldest with a blue plastic because I had worn out the wooden part of it.
so you got along just fine with yours for awhile ? I have a silencer on mine to prevent that

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
You'll be hard pressed to beat that rose up too much in your lifetime and your skin oils alone go a long way at preventing the leather handle from wearing out.

If you must a little extra fancy beef tallow will help seal the deal...Smiling mink oil that is :whistling

I'm always proud to mention those Rose trowels are still made right around the corner from me in Sharon Hill PA. Best trowel ever made hands down :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I used to used the leather handle one all the time. Eventually the leather will end up unraveling or the wood on the end will start to lose corners. Ive been through maybe 10 -12 of them.

The last few have been the red marsheltowns.

That plasic handle rose is no good. Look how far down the angle is on the blade.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hands down the leather handle rose trowel. Yes I have owned a few of them, been doing this 30 years and have only needed a few. If taken care of they will last, yes blades will wear down or even crack if used as dur-o-wall cutter ( I know this from trying it a few times). I have never "oiled" or coated the handle. The real handle saver for myself and other masons, has been to buy a rubber cane tip (walking cane) maybe from Walgreens or any medical supply store, then slip on the end of the trowel handle and tap away on masonry products with confidence

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
masonkable said:
Hands down the leather handle rose trowel. Yes I have owned a few of them, been doing this 30 years and have only needed a few. If taken care of they will last, yes blades will wear down or even crack if used as dur-o-wall cutter ( I know this from trying it a few times). I have never "oiled" or coated the handle. The real handle saver for myself and other masons, has been to buy a rubber cane tip (walking cane) maybe from Walgreens or any medical supply store, then slip on the end of the trowel handle and tap away on masonry products with confidence
awesome , i use one on my rose as well i never could find them because we call them silencers Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CJKarl said:
I still use an assortment of 20 and 30 year old Roses. Never put anything on the handles. ....You can tell I hardly ever do commercial work. My trowels wear pretty evenly.
haha for being 4 months old mine gas worn down 1/4"

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I used to used the leather handle one all the time. Eventually the leather will end up unraveling or the wood on the end will start to lose corners. Ive been through maybe 10 -12 of them.

The last few have been the red marsheltowns.

That plasic handle rose is no good. Look how far down the angle is on the blade.
Damn J, you're blowing through the leather every 2/3 years? Never seen anybody do that in my life...I think you're fibbing :laughing:

I still have 2 wood handle, 10.5 narrow London, I won back in towel trade school in the early 80's during a competition - still original handles and I still use them. In addition, Rose makes replacement handles for all their forged shanks so you really never have to throw them away.

Discalimer; I got oodles of them and rotate them pretty well, but I'll still argue it's the best trowel ever made and I've never had a reason to throw one out.

Now don't be fibbing us saying that you're going through the shanks and blades too :no: cause you'll definitely be blowing your cover ;)

I might soon be shooting a video tour of the small plant,...the only and original one, which is cool as hell. Totally a step back in time of gargantuan machinery and hand honed techniques. Some of the equipment I hear dates back to the late 1700's at the companies original founding.

Kraft bought them out, but W.Rose has never changed. Here a link to the many shapes and sizes,... and of course replacement handles if need be.

http://www.krafttool.com/catalog.aspx?cat=27&subcat=35

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
superseal said:
Damn J, you're blowing through the leather every 2/3 years? Never seen anybody do that in my life...I think you're fibbing :laughing: I still have 2 wood handle, 10.5 narrow London, I won back in towel trade school in the early 80's during a competition - still original handles and I still use them. In addition, Rose makes replacement handles for all their forged shanks so you really never have to throw them away. Discalimer; I got oodles of them and rotate them pretty well, but I'll still argue it's the best trowel ever made and I've never had a reason to throw one out. Now don't be fibbing us saying that you're going through the shanks and blades too :no: cause you'll definitely be blowing your cover ;) I might soon be shooting a video tour of the small plant,...the only and original one, which is cool as hell. Totally a step back in time of gargantuan machinery and hand honed techniques. Some of the equipment I hear dates back to the late 1700's at the companies original founding. Kraft bought them out, but W.Rose has never changed. Here a link to the many shapes and sizes,... and of course replacement handles if need be. http://www.krafttool.com/catalog.aspx?cat=27&subcat=35
that would be cool to see the plant M-Town is good but i like Rose a lot more and glad to know they are still made in the US

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Damn J, you're blowing through the leather every 2/3 years? Never seen anybody do that in my life...I think you're fibbing :laughing:
Not from wear but from dropping a block or rock or throwing it down off the staging. The leather gets a nick and that will be enough for it to start unravaling.

Im not too gentle with my tools. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I am also a fan of Rose. American made and local to me. Hands down the best trowels in my opinion. But since Kraft purchased them I have noticed variations in quality. Particularly in the blade.

For you guys that do not like the lift on the Rose trowels, they do make a low lift design. I switched to a low lift trowel about 5 years ago and it greatly reduced wrist pain.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I only use rose trowels. I prefer the plastic though. they wear to the shape of your hand. I will snap a picture of what I mean. The leather always seemed dried out and rough.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I just got a Rose, but it just has a wood handle. It's going to take some getting used to, the blade angle is weird like JBM said

The lift of a trowel handle (angle of blade) is not one size fits all.I have old Bon Tool catalogs (back before they marketed their own trowels) and both M.T. and Rose offered "high set or low set" handle angles. S.S. will more than likely have info. on that.

I own and believe both M.T. and Rose make great trowels,I own both never had a problem with either. Am happy they are still made in States.

As far as handles go, 99% of what I buy are wood,a couple of duct tape wraps and I'M good to go. I do own one Rose with a blue handle,came with it,works just fine in my book.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts