Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought id share an expierence i had today.

I was mowing the shops lot....We let the grass get almost knee high and the weeds 5ft tall. ( to my defence i was out of state for 6 weeks )

So Im mowing the jungle with an old push mower i have. Im ready for a cold one and go the pull the zip tie on the plugwire to kill it ( ******* kill switch ) the zip tie breaks leaving the coilwire still on the plug. The mower is at full blast ( only speed it has ) So I go in the bucket truck and grab my leather glove and put it on. I then proceed to grab the plug wire and get LIT UP untill the mower dies. Ended up being a couple cold ones

This gets me to thinking how many times I have used the same gloves doing high line work live. Worst part is they arent old gloves, i bought them in January

.Glad it was the mower coil and not the MSD on the racecar ( THAT WILL KNOCK THE P OUT OF YOU ) And a magneto on a sprint car just HURTS like a mother:censored: as does the head to the wing corner that results from the jerking away

Just thought Id share and remind ya'll dont get to comfy thinking gloves will protect ya

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I was wearing gloves the day I changed the blade in my sawzall with my finger on the trigger like an a-hole. I twisted the keyless chuck and simultaneously pulled the trigger. My left index finger was pulled right down into the guard a few times.

I lost the nail, finger was black and swollen. When it first happened, I was afraid to remove my glove. That was this past December.

Good as new now.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,792 Posts
Not really sure leather gloves are suppose to protect you like that LOL.

Sorry but I did have to laugh.:laughing:

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Not really sure leather gloves are suppose to protect you like that LOL.

Sorry but I did have to laugh.:laughing:
But they were good gloves. lol
I don't even want to think about what would've happen if I want wearing any. I usually don't. That day, I was working outside and it was pretty cold.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,792 Posts
But they were good gloves. lol
I don't even want to think about what would've happen if I want wearing any. I usually don't. That day, I was working outside and it was pretty cold.
Sorry should of quoted, was talking about Red Adobe exciting experience. Not you getting hurt like that , could of been bad.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
This gets me to thinking how many times I have used the same gloves doing high line work live. Worst part is they arent old gloves, i bought them in January
So you are saying there were simply leather gloves? No rubber liners?
Are you aware that leather is basically just tanned skin?

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Found a worn handle on my strippers the other day that had me cursing. Diagnosing on a live circuit i had the receptacle in my left hand holding top and bottom and i was twisting the wires back together on the line side pigtail when my right palm rubbed against the metal of the plier that had worn through the handle. I could barely see the black tip of the metal through the yellow handle but by gosh i made the circuit complete! So those pliers are now taped up and are only used for roughing in.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
I had a customer that was the safety guy for an electrical co. that subbed for the power co.
He brings the gloves, sleeves and apron they use to a testing co. to be tested every month. A small hole or a worn down patch can kill someone. If they fail test they are chopped up immediately.
Regular leather glove absorb moisture etc, have to have rubber gloves or rubber liner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts