Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were just doing some work on a large old farmehouse remodel which had all plaster walls. The HO decided to hire a plaster guy to skimcoat (I think thats the correct term) all of the plaster. He did a great job and made old walls look like new. However he charged something like $10,000 for the whole job which tool him about 2 weeks. Around here in rural indiana that's good stinkin money.

I was just curious about how much skill this takes and how long it would take for someone with "the knack" to learn it. I don't have any intention of doing it full time but it would be something nice to have in my arsenal of "things I know I can do."

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've never messed with plaster before but I'm good and fast with Mud compound. I think the best thing to do is do it. Practice in your house or any place you can get your hands dirty. When I was learning to Tape and float I bought a DVD from taunting press by Myron Ferguson. I was working in drywall and doing the work too, seeing the difference in approach to differenent situations but I wanted to learn different techniques from the masters. So I put on the dvd and watch a master work. I've gotten alot of my style from him. I think that Taunton makes the best how to videos for pros by pros.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I own a lot of the for pros by pros books. Thats a good idea. What I would really like to do is go and spend about a month with a master of each trade and learn from everyone.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
How much do you think that would cost you? Most guys don't like the dust and the upper body work out you get, I have seen guys last one maybe two days. we do so much overhead work, the walls are a cake walk, do ceilings for a year and get back with me:laughing:
my Old man would tell me "practise makes prefect!" so have at it that's the only way your gonna learn, Good luck.:thumbsup:

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
About all I've ever been able to pass on about skimming is that it's a helluva lot of work. A lot of criss-cross application, and learning to gauge the feel of that setup for the final passes.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much do you think that would cost you? Most guys don't like the dust and the upper body work out you get, I have seen guys last one maybe two days. we do so much overhead work, the walls are a cake walk, do ceilings for a year and get back with me:laughing:
my Old man would tell me "practise makes prefect!" so have at it that's the only way your gonna learn, Good luck.:thumbsup:
Well, people say I'm crazy because I love roofing but I doubt that mudding or skim coating would be my thing. It would be alright once in a while buy not everyday, unless the money would be phenomenal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The time needed and skill that is required take time to get perfected on, may take 2 years or some people may never be good at it no matter how long they do it for. It really is an art.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If you are a carpenter, doing something like skim coating or texturing when restoring an old or damaged wall is something you should probably stay away from. I'd sub that out to someone who specializes in drywall patching, but I will hang and tape myself, that part is easy.

I have read Myron Ferguson's book too, and been to one of his trade shows and asked him questions. He is a goofy guy but he does have some nice tips if you want to learn drywall.

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
Well, people say I'm crazy because I love roofing but I doubt that mudding or skim coating would be my thing. It would be alright once in a while buy not everyday, unless the money would be phenomenal.
5 grand a week sound pretty good to me,::clap: hell, $500 sounds good right now!:w00t:

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Skimming is not easy, but it's not rocket science.

I do it maybe twice a year so no matter when I do it, I'm rusty at it. :laughing:

However, I use lightweight premix thinned in a bucket to thick pancake batter consistency. Pour the mud into a paint tray and roll on an even coat with a paint roller. Use a wide knife and pull the mud smooth.

I can never do it in one coat. I find two coats works better and looks better.

And there is a lot of dust.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was site boss on a 4.5m € apartment, it had huge areas of ceilings so we hired a skim crew to finish them. Guys, never pick a fight with a skimmer, cos they have arms like spring steel. They make it look easy, and do it fast, but its hard graft and a real skill. I have done skim on small rooms, and the key is - don't panic, take your time and let it go off enough before trying to get a finish, but really, the best advice is, when you need good skim, hire a good skimmer, stand back and marvel as they work. Each to their own. J.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Guys, never pick a fight with a skimmer, cos they have arms like spring steel. They make it look easy, and do it fast, but its hard graft and a real skill. I have done skim on small rooms, and the key is - don't panic, .
:laughing:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The OP of this thread was on plaster.

Skim coating plaster and skimming drywall with premix are two different animals altogether. Some similarities, but you take the dog for a walk and the cat takes you for a walk.

One thing they have both in commomn, is every time I do either, my arm is lame for a few days after wards while I sit swearing I will never do that again
:no:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Skim coat to me is blueboard backer and plaster applied by trowel . No sanding , just wet troweled and hard as a rock . The guys who do it every day are pros and make it look easy . I sub that out and it gets done fast , looks great and they deserve what they get .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts