Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone throw out any links for resources about windows. I'd like to learn about installation technique as well as about the products themselves.

Such as what makes up a window, what makes one window better than another, different style of windows and advantages of those different brands and styles....

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
there is no 1 place your going to find that kind of info
every window manufacturer put out info on installation and window performance pick one and start your long journey there

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Such as what makes up a window, what makes one window better than another, different style of windows and advantages of those different brands and styles....
The science of fenestration is a vast world of coated films, gas filled voids, vacuum sealed laminations of glass, extrusions, claddings and different forms of weatherstripping. Good luck on your quest for knowledge in this field. You will surely get a different synopsis from every poster. I personally prefer Andersen products for appearance, performance, value and warranty.:thumbsup:

·
Insert title
4,692 Posts
i will train you on my job for the low low price of 500 per day
That must be based on a 6 hour work day......I'll charge him $800 and let him work a full 14 hours.

OP, books and websites are fine but if you really want to learn the ins and outs of windows you need to spend time in the field with experts. A good mix of time spent with installers and service techs will give you a well balanced view.

·
Banned
89 Posts
learning about installations is one thing,learning the differences amongst various product is a whole other science. many variables.
here is a quick lesson though: STAY AWAY from andersen or pella vinyl windows.that means silverline,american craftsman,and thermostar. or is it thermal star..cheap vinyl and poorly designed. there are higher end vinyl windows that are extremely durable,look nice,and engineered to near perfection.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Off topic: Hey LF. Where you been bro'.
Here and there bro, seems between business picking up and some new found responsibility with mom, time is a hot commodity.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here and there bro, seems between business picking up and some new found responsibility with mom, time is a hot commodity.:thumbsup:
Good to hear you're busy. I've had a good summer, now it just nose dived for some reason. Too early to quiet down yet. Off topic again, sorry guys. I'll behave.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts