Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top of the doorway needs to go right 1.5" to be plumb.
The opening is the same top & bottom.
The floor, on right, needs to come up, I'm guessing an 1.5" - 2" in 14'.
When I jack the floor, it will make it worse.
The left outside of the wall, shows plumb, the right outside leans same way as doorway, but not as bad, maybe 5/8 to 3/4 in 10' ; other doors in that wall show racked, but again not as bad.
I can fix the doorway, but I'd like to know what's going on. I'm sure it wasn't out that bad when built. My guess is the floor in out of level, but the wall racked the opposite way. Maybe the foundation shifting?

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Can you get in the crawlspace or basement and check the underside of the subfloor, or whatever is accessible, in different areas with a laser?

Some of the stuff doesn't seem to add up......door needing to go right would indicate the opposite of what the floor seems to need.....:blink:

I don't know how old it is, but I've worked on dozens maybe 200 years old, and the foundations are often the weakest link......

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you get in the crawlspace or basement and check the underside of the subfloor, or whatever is accessible, in different areas with a laser?

Some of the stuff doesn't seem to add up......door needing to go right would indicate the opposite of what the floor seems to need.....:blink:

I don't know how old it is, but I've worked on dozens maybe 200 years old, and the foundations are often the weakest link......
Yeah, I agree it seems odd. I'm starting to wonder if the left "good" side of the wall was an addition. If it was, it was around the same era. The house is about 100yr old. I have not pull any lines or transit yet. I was actually getting ready to put a supporting beam in the center of joist span, just to tighten the floor up. It would go up more later. Now ill start working the problem first. I may need to put eye bolts in footer . The foundation is not in good shape, but I can t see a bow. It could be a long one too

·
Registered
Remodel
26,681 Posts
First you need to get a picture of the whole house. Changes in foundations indicating additions, movement, etc. Don't assume that floor hasn't been jacked before - there's a good chance it was. You can also get into some odd things where the structure wasn't adequate, and it moved during the build process. These wind up having some very strange issues with plumb, level, square.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
so its a gay door because it leans the wrong way?. not that theres anything wrong with that, but non of my doors lean any way there all plumb straight up and down

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First you need to get a picture of the whole house. Changes in foundations indicating additions, movement, etc. Don't assume that floor hasn't been jacked before - there's a good chance it was. You can also get into some odd things where the structure wasn't adequate, and it moved during the build process. These wind up having some very strange issues with plumb, level, square.
I haven't noticed any sign that it was jacked up yet.
The low part of the house is original as well as the doorway. I think the "good" side may have originally been a porch? The joist, hardwood and the brick piers match house, however unlike the house it didn't have brick underpinning. One of the doorways had weatherstrip like an exterior, and there's 3/4 vertical board on siding where the rooms meet. The siding matches though. I can't tell much about the inside as it was changed, but it looks like at one time it was the kitchen.

·
Registered
Remodel
26,681 Posts
I think the "good" side may have originally been a porch? The joist, hardwood and the brick piers match house, however unlike the house it didn't have brick underpinning. One of the doorways had weatherstrip like an exterior, and there's 3/4 vertical board on siding where the rooms meet. The siding matches though. I can't tell much about the inside as it was changed, but it looks like at one time it was the kitchen.
That seems reasonable - a lot of porches ended up getting closed in, and what you saw is consistent with it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah, I agree it seems odd. I'm starting to wonder if the left "good" side of the wall was an addition. If it was, it was around the same era. The house is about 100yr old. I have not pull any lines or transit yet. I was actually getting ready to put a supporting beam in the center of joist span, just to tighten the floor up. It would go up more later. Now ill start working the problem first. I may need to put eye bolts in footer . The foundation is not in good shape, but I can t see a bow. It could be a long one too
What the heck do you imagine eye bolts in the "footer" would accomplish?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What the heck do you imagine eye bolts in the "footer" would accomplish?
Yeah, not quite sure. I was worried the house was separating at the base.
I was thinking I may need to all thread or cable it, before jacking it up. I have now jacked up 2/3rds of the house, with no problems. I am currently taking a break from it. I was overthinking, worried, and stressed out. It's been almost two weeks and I am starting to feel and think better. It's amazing what stress will do to a person.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts