Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends of mine installed a whirlpool tub. The tub does not have a lip on it and the silicon keeps pulling away from the tub and wall. Which allows water to leak behind the tub and to the ceiling below. They have redone the seam 3 or four times and it still leaks. Is there a better silicon then the 100% kitchen & bathroom stuff? Should the tub surface be cleaned with anything special first to help the silicon adhere better? Could it just be a tub flexing problem? Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
First, make sure that nothing is moving. If it is fiberglass, it may still have traces of the mold release compound on it, clean it well with denatured alcohol. Step up to a marine grade sealer like 3M 4200, use 5200 as a last resort. Cleanup is with mineral spirits when it's wet. Dynamite once it cures.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
That tub should not be moving at all. The installation is bad. Until they fix the defective installation they are going to keep having to deal with the leak. Movement enough to pull silicone free is pretty big movement!

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
yep!!

yep!!! Marine grade sealers are awesome. But I also think Mike is correct. Don't they usally put like a leveling compound under those whirlpool tubs before they install them so they won't have any movement. Bet they forgot to do that. :Thumbs: :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Here, they are set in a puddle of the goo of your choice and the surrounding deck is done the same.
Could it be possible that the 'friends' didn't understand the load or how to distribute it? Is it a Jacuzzi built for two? Built for one and two are using it at the same time?
I'm starting to think like Glass, Lord help me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts