Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a townhouse complex where every single unit in one section is experiencing water damage around the sliding doors on the second floor of the 3 story town homes. Each floor has a deck with a patio door, one directly above the other. The water is coming from the 3rd floor to the 2nd floor and ruining the hardwood floors. The way the units were built, the decks were put on before the siding, but they seem to be flashed correctly around the ledger board, but I haven't taken a patio door out yet. Has anyone had a problem with vinyl patio doors leaking.

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
Were the joists of these decks cantilevered from the house? Back in the 80's a lot of these small rear decks were done this way. There was never really a good way to flash them. I have torn out a few since and replaced the door headers as well. Chances are the door is ok.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not cantilevered from the house, the joist are on hangers.
Looks to me like water is accumulating in the patio door track and seeping down thru unplugged holes on both ends of the inside track. I assume the holes should have plugs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts