Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shower was leaking into a wall after being used. I had narrowed down the leak to the shower arm. I thought it would be at the joint where the chrome arm connects to the 1/2" female fitting inside the wall. Upon cutting around the drywall where the stubout comes out of, I see the leak is at the soldered joint between that 1/2", elbow fitting and the copper pipe inside the wall.

It is very tight, I do have access to the wall behind. But with the backer board the fitting is screwed too... I dont trust my soldering skills.

What is the way to go about fixing this?? Is soldering the only fix? If you had to access that 1/2" 90' elbow from behind the wall, about how big of area should I cut... stud to stud? Also what do I do about that 2x4 that the elbow is attached to?

Any help is greatly apreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Take it from a pro;
Walls can be fixed in a few hours time, fires destroy whole houses.

Do yourself a big favor and cut a huge hole in the wall, make the best repair and fix the hole and forget about it.

Weather the hole is small or large the time for the repair runs about the same so why not go the safe way.

Bernie

·
DRIFTWOOD
803 Posts
driftwood

please call a plumber or friend who has the neccery skills, i can,t teach you to sweat pipe over net, too much to lose not enough to gain .

take a deep breath good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts