Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is a common question but I always hear different answers.
How many of you guys are using lead services to get jobs?

Who do you use? Servicemagic, someone else?

What are your win rates with these services compared to your other traditional leads?

-Nathan

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
We use every lead service in our area. Well not EVERY. We gave a few a try that primarily use home shows for their sources of leads... until I went to one and they practically rape anyone who walks past their booth for info. They ask them to fill out surveys then turn the surveys over to us as leads.

I was wondering why I couldn't sell anything!

Service magic works for us but I have heard some horror stories. It is very competitive. We receive most of our leads through a combination of our referral services.

To be honest the referral services were a last effort for me to keep my job. My boss and I sat in the office staring at each other for about 3 weeks while no estimates came in. I decided to get proactive before I got my walking papers. I'm glad I did. This has been my best year. I have earned more than my boss so far. :)

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are your win rates for these types of leads?

Any tricks to filtering them?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
There are no real filtering tricks except readint eh info they give you. People literally type in their "additional info" and you get some good insight into their thought process. You know before you decide to accept or reject if the lead is going to be worth persuing. The real trick to winning the job is to be the first contractor to call them back.

All lead services work differently. Some only give you a name and number and make you call the owner for the address. Some give you all the info upfront after you accept. Some make you choose an area and your services and any lead that comes in your area under your services you get no if's ands or butts.

A new service we have tried is ABC leads. The con: you pay for all leads in your area. The con: your the only contractor in your area. I've sold 50% of my ABC leads in the last 2 months.

Service Magic is the highest volume. There was some recent rains and we've received 20+ leads each day for the past 4 days.

To be honest I think I may be the only person to have any satisfaction with lead services. I've found a few that are scams but I've also leared how to make a few work for me.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like everytime there is a good competitor out there to Service Magic they buy them. It reminds me to Microsoft in the early days.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying the compitition. If your a roofer trying to break into the masonry market, why not buy a successful company? It's a quick way to grow.

There is a phoen company (they sell office phones) not far form my house. I know a few of the people that work there. In the past year they have bought 4 competitors or more, and some pager companies as well. I was shocked that people still have pagers!

·
Utah carpenter
31 Posts
In the perfect world no contractor would use a lead service. Then we could market on our own merits and not be so focused on cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am using an advertising agency that is specialized in getting me the leads I want, they aren't cheap but I find the leads they give me are super HQ quality and exactly the kind of customers I like working with.

These cheap unlimited deals for $200/month are BS. A good lead that will net you 20,000$ will cost you $500-1000$ !

I am not cheap to pay up for quality, keeps us busy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just curious. What's the service the agency provides you? Digital ads or physical ones?

I am using an advertising agency that is specialized in getting me the leads I want, they aren't cheap but I find the leads they give me are super HQ quality and exactly the kind of customers I like working with.

These cheap unlimited deals for $200/month are BS. A good lead that will net you 20,000$ will cost you $500-1000$ !

I am not cheap to pay up for quality, keeps us busy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just curious. What's the service the agency provides you? Digital ads or physical ones?
Just to chime in, I'm getting pitched by a firm called Sign Post right now. Although it is $200 a month, so might be close to what Igor has been seeing in that price range.

SignPost seems to have a bunch of techniques designed to help close incoming leads, ie setup a phone # to track incoming calls and auto follow up to capture those leads that come in while your working a job and miss the incoming call. http://www.signpost.com/testimonials/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Online Leads Services

We used to use HomeAdvisor, but we stopped, because another company built a site for us and got it ranked, and it generates WAY more leads. If I were you, I'd suggest learning the basics of SEO and optimizing your site. If you don't have time to do that, then hire an in-house online marketing person, or pay an outside SEO company to do it for you. Hope that helps!

Matt - Huntersville Roofing Pros

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
11-05-2003, 03:43 PM #1
Nathan
Pro

^^^---I see dead people....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts