Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment and have turned one of the bedrooms into a play-room for my 8 month old son. Even though he is never in there alone i am concerned that there may be lead paint on the walls. I'm not sure when the house was built, and the land-lord is a jerk and won't let us repaint. I keep telling him that we will just paint it white and he would have nothing to worry about as we will foot the bill and do it ourselves but there is just no reasoning with him. I guess my question is this, if we re-paint on the sly and there is already lead paint will painting over it make it safer for my little guy?

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Lead paint on the walls is not nearly as bad as the lead dust flaking off onto the floor and the child simply crawling through it. Bare hands go through the dust, then into the mouth. That is usually how they get lead poisoning. Window sills are another main area that kids chew on.

Your child at that age should be getting quite frequent checkups and blood work. They more than likely check for lead anyway, so it will come up. If it does, your landlord has no say in the matter. The state will step in.

I'm taking a big assumption that the other states in the US are like this. It's possible that it may not be quite exactly like Maine's rules, but it is something that Dr's don't mess around with.

But to answer your question, painting over lead paint sure helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what i was thinking SVR. I might just do it and tell him to go screw a monkey. I will have to take pics of this apartment to show you guys. there is not a plumb wall or square room in the place. Its real cheap though and i guess its okay but when i look at a wall that looks like an accordion it drives me nuts.

·
Registered
541 Posts
There's really not a lot of danger from lead paint in most rental properties. You have to assume they've had at least one coat of paint in the past thirty years to cover everything up, and unless there are multiple layers peeling off or someone's doing some work that creates a lot of dust it should stay covered up.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
Spend 35 bucks on a lead test kit and be sure. Or just fret and fret about it.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,619 Posts
I live in an apartment and have turned one of the bedrooms into a play-room for my 8 month old son. Even though he is never in there alone i am concerned that there may be lead paint on the walls. I'm not sure when the house was built, and the land-lord is a jerk and won't let us repaint. I keep telling him that we will just paint it white and he would have nothing to worry about as we will foot the bill and do it ourselves but there is just no reasoning with him. I guess my question is this, if we re-paint on the sly and there is already lead paint will painting over it make it safer for my little guy?
No, the lead paint is already covered by newer paint. Using a HEPA vacuum for cleaning floors is recommended, as is something like a wet microfiber for dusting.

Landlord don't let tenants paint for a reason. It costs them a money (and sometimes a lot of money) to get the walls, ceiling, and trim back to the paint manufacturer / color scheme sheen they've chosen. The other reason is even pro painters have done crap jobs on places they lease. Legitimately, they should require an up front repainting fee before they let you paint, if they let you paint at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your landlord is legally required to provide you with written knowledge of the presence or absence of lead paint, along with a Federal EPA document outlining your rights with regards to it.

I'm presently in the hospital, on an iPad, exhausted, and a bit too tired and delirious to quote it exactly. You should be able to google for further info, if not I'll provide it later this week.

Best residential renting/leasing practices are to have each tenant sign a statement confirming that they received all of that info. As if they can not provide proof, tenants can report them... and it's an upwards of $45,000 fine for noncompliance!!!!!

If they're being a jerk... You have a powerful option.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
No, the lead paint is already covered by newer paint. Using a HEPA vacuum for cleaning floors is recommended, as is something like a wet microfiber for dusting.
If the lead in the paint or primer is already covered, why the hepa?

·
Registered
Remodel
29,619 Posts
If the lead in the paint or primer is already covered, why the hepa?
Hepa is a standard recommendation for any house which may have lead. The theory is some dust may be generated from opening / closing doors, windows, accidental scratching of walls / trim, and so on while people are using it as intended (living in it).

Having cleaned professionally, I'm a big fan of HEPA vacs for home owner routine use, and wet microfibers for dusting. Lead paint or new construction, I'd do it the same way.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
That makes sense and I'd guess that 70% of the housing stock in this country has lead paint and asbestos in it. I hate carpet for a multitude of reasons, the biggest is they keep dust. I rarely eat at restaurants as I've worked in them.... ;)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
That makes sense and I'd guess that 70% of the housing stock in this country has lead paint and asbestos in it. I hate carpet for a multitude of reasons, the biggest is they keep dust. I rarely eat at restaurants as I've worked in them.... ;)
Actually if you look at the research, far fewer than 70% would have lead in them. It's a farce that's been sold to the american public....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts