Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a small remodeling company, and up until now we've been doing one job at a time, not subbing anything out except for the electric and plumbing. My guys would just use my tools. This year was very blessed for me and I have more work then I know what to do with. I want to form one more 2 man crew and have my current lead carpenter be in charge of it. My question is this... I pay him $30 per hour, what tools should I expect him to have besides the basic hand tools? Should he have his own miter saw, compressor, guns, table saw, etc? Advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

www.JerseyRemodeling.com

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Any job I have been on either union or not, it was just hand tools...Power tools wear out and that should be a contractors responsibility and cost. What next, you want him to supply materials too?...;)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Don't know where your from, but around here $30 and hour would warrant him having circular saw, recip saw, drills/drivers and other basic power tools.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Any job I have been on either union or not, it was just hand tools...Power tools wear out and that should be a contractors responsibility and cost. What next, you want him to supply materials too?...;)
Well yeah, if they buy materials they don't waste as much.. :thumbup:

It was a nice thought.. ;)

Carpenters that came with power tools always left with power tools. They have their own, they respect them more. They wear out while working for me, I replace them. If they have no power tools, how they get to be good qualified carpenters?
Compressor, nail guns, ladders, staging, wall brackets, ect, I always provide & insist they use mine.
Basic power tools, battery or corded they should have by now.
That is me and my requirement, each decide their own. I have always found most, good qualified carpenters or tradesman of any kind typically do have their own tools and prefer to use them. They just want them replaced if burnt out working for another, I agree with this as should be.
I never had carpenter complain or even question this, with exception to a few I hired after th base closing aroud here that were union carpenters.
They only stayed a few days so wasn't much of a problem. When they found out they had to climb on a step ladder without another person to stabilize it for them, or if they needed some lumber to cut or nail up and had to pick it up themself, and when we didn't use all the osha approved set ups for pump jacks or wall brackets or what ever, they left. :clap:
Especially when breaks weren't taken at set times, omg, unheard of. haha
But then again.. That was my only experience with union workers. The would run to me and I would say go see your foreman, just cause I am here it don't mean anyone by passes them. With me here or not, if their job, they run it. The foreman makes me money, I like his ways.. :thumbup:

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
i just left a lead carpenter position for a commercial company. i was getting payed **** all for a certified carpenter supplying my own tools and blades. wasnt getting reimbursed for blades, i was buying materials with my own money ( no on account purchases.....)

is it unreasonalble to want a tank of gas payed for when picking up materials when being payed less than industry standard for a journeyman, wanting a tool allowance. this gc barely has any gear of his own, and what he does have isnt worth using, therefore the myself and the crew was all carrying their own power tools... is this unreasonable?

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
All Carpenters that work for me need to have their own circular saw, a drill, levels, squares, and the usual hand tools. Everything else like chop saw's table saws, sanders, and jig saws we supply. We buy the blades for their tools and replace things if one of the tools needs repair (excluding levels).

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Carpenters that came with power tools always left with power tools. They have their own, they respect them more. They wear out while working for me, I replace them. If they have no power tools, how they get to be good qualified carpenters?
Compressor, nail guns, ladders, staging, wall brackets, ect, I always provide & insist they use mine.
Basic power tools, battery or corded they should have by now.
That is me and my requirement, each decide their own. I have always found most, good qualified carpenters or tradesman of any kind typically do have their own tools and prefer to use them. They just want them replaced if burnt out working for another, I agree with this as should be.
Ain't it the truth!! Sounds like a fair policy to me.:thumbsup:

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Hey Jason, Do they have to keep their hands off your blue and green tools?
Yeah, those don't go in the field at all, unless I want to use them. I just leased a 1200 sf shop in Manchester though, and I will let one or two of the guys use them there. For the most part, they are off limits! I also don't let them touch my stabila levels or my laser level.

I just bought them a nice, new 13" Dewalt table top planner for the job site. In one weeks time they burned up the belt and tore off the skid plate:censored: Needless to say they heard from me about that!:furious: They will soon be given my hand me downs instead of new stuff whenever I can manage it.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
I expect my guys to have all their own hand tools. As far as power tools go, I'm flexible. If you don't have your own cordless drill and circular saw, what kind of a carpenter are you?

I provide table saw, chop saws, compressors, nailguns, etc..
I also provide bits and blades and sharpies to the guys as they need.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
I expect my guys to have all their own hand tools. As far as power tools go, I'm flexible. If you don't have your own cordless drill and circular saw, what kind of a carpenter are you?

I provide table saw, chop saws, compressors, nailguns, etc..
I also provide bits and blades and sharpies to the guys as they need.

sharpies could kinda get expensive in an annoying sorta way, i know myself its better off having the worker supply something like that because i know from my own experience they go missing so easily, or the guys are taking them home for their own use. dealt with that prior to entering carpentry.

as for drill bits, the guy should have his own bits but if a job is going to burn up alot of the same bit. should have twist bits, and spades along with some countersinks for finish work.

what i was stating in my earlier post though, i was using my own table saw, my own chopsaw, compressor, nail guns, etc. and no reimbursement for repairs or blades...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I expect my leads to have a full complement of tools. In addition to their hourly wage, they get a tool allowance to acquire or replace tools. $25 per month, accumulates, and no cash value. They submit a receipt for a tool, they get reimbursed if there is a balance available in their tool allowance.

·
General Contractor
548 Posts
They should have: skilsaw, recipro saw compressor and nailgun. Plus all basic hand tools and cordless drill, levels, etc...

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
sharpies could kinda get expensive in an annoying sorta way, i know myself its better off having the worker supply something like that because i know from my own experience they go missing so easily, or the guys are taking them home for their own use. dealt with that prior to entering carpentry.
I have a couple boxes of them at home.

Give them each a couple sharpies (a fine tip and regular tip) and then they get used to using them and how wonderful they are.

Let them lose them or bring them home, whatever and then forget to bring it to work.

Don't replace it for a few days, or a week or so. If they don't go out and buy their own after this, when you do replace it, they will take better care of the all-important sharpie!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
In my area $30 an hour for a carpenter is unheard of. I ran a framing crew for $20 an hour and I supplied only my hand tools. $20-$25 is the max rate here.

From personal experience I would expect a $30 an hour carpenter to have all the tools he needed to complete a job except for the occasional specialty tool.

I guess I am probably just jealous and bitter, it would probably be in your best interest to own the tools yourself and treat the carpenter as a regular employee. Tools are a tax write off anyways and if your carpenter leaves you will still have the tools to support another crew.

If I supplied my own power tools at $30 an hour I would probably feel very bitter when one broke one your job and I had to come out of pocket to replace it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts