Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I searched and there isn't one topic covering this VERY important factor for those of us in repaints.

Are there any painters in Florida that are lead abatement certified? I would like to take a course, but it seems the EPA doesn't offer one for this state, but there is one firm that has full accreditation and charges $595 for 32 hour course.

I would like to hear anyone else's experience with lead abatement, if any please! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
4 Posts
AAPaint said:
Hey everybody. I searched and there isn't one topic covering this VERY important factor for those of us in repaints.

Are there any painters in Florida that are lead abatement certified? I would like to take a course, but it seems the EPA doesn't offer one for this state, but there is one firm that has full accreditation and charges $595 for 32 hour course.

I would like to hear anyone else's experience with lead abatement, if any please! :Thumbs:

Hi. I'm from Rochester, NY.. We have a huge lead problem up here and the city has been trying to take care of it as of recently. I'm not too fond on how these things work, but my and a few guys from the company I'm working for got city grants to take the classes for free, you might want to check into that. Again, I'm sorry for not providing much information as I do not know much myself.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phouvieng - Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking into it for my area. It doesn't come up a whole hell of alot around here, but there are some older homes still standing that require proper lead abatement when they are remodeled. I appreciate at least some input about it. Maybe my city has a grant program of sorts. :Thumbs:

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
In Wisconsin there is only one or two companies that teach the lead abatemanent course. It's about $1000 to get certafied as a "supervisor." There is also "employee" which is about $400 and a few other levels of acredidation.

My partner and I plan to take the courses as soon as we can afford it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Wisconsin there is only one or two companies that teach the lead abatemanent course. It's about $1000 to get certafied as a "supervisor." There is also "employee" which is about $400 and a few other levels of acredidation.

My partner and I plan to take the courses as soon as we can afford it.
Yeah, these are about the exact prices our instructors were telling us. I honestly think anyone interested should really try getting a city grant before actually paying out your pockets.

Also, I was just thinking, maybe this sounds a little crazy, but maybe try looking into other areas around yours to see where they are providing city grants. You figure, it's about $1400+ total if you plan on being a supervisor, why pay when there's a possibility of you getting it for free?

And lastly, I cannot stress how easy this class is, I'm not sure how other places will go through them, so I dont know if it'll be as easy as I had it. We literatlly went through every answer to the test right before we took it. It's a 50 question test to be a lead worker, I'm not sure about a supervisor.

Anyways, let me shut my trap already, hope everything works out for all you guys!

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
I'm going to look into the city grant idea here in Milwaukee. Will have to call the county supervisor or city hall when I get a second. The problem is we don't have the same problem as in Rochester, when you look in the Milwaukee phone book most of the painters (and I assure you there is no shortage of competition here) in the area already offer lead abatement. So it isn't as if there is a dire need for lead abatement supervisors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts