Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My client is wanting plank porcelain tile laid on their Stained/Sealed Concrete Floors and I am just wanting suggestion on how you would tackle this project?

I am already thinking that resurfacing would be the only way to go but with all of todays products on the market would there be anything better or equal to resurfacing that I may have missed?

It is about 800 Sq Ft so to keep the cost Economical it must be a rational method, Dollars and Cents wise.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I would diamond grind it till it was rough, able to absorb water, I don't know how deep that would be probably a 32" . The rough grit will allow thinset to hold better as well. Caulk an expansion joint every 15' to allow for expansion and prevent tenting.
How come polished concrete didn't work for them. ? Cost just depends if you have the equipment already and time. Flooring installers these days should have diamond grinders and vacs . I'd say @ 600$

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Eco Prim as a bond coating. Call Mapei to verify but I do not think sealed concrete is in the list of "limitations".
A few hundred bucks and no dust to deal with. Might be the way.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Eco Prim as a bond coating. Call Mapei to verify but I do not think sealed concrete is in the list of "limitations".
A few hundred bucks and no dust to deal with. Might be the way.
He's alive!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If Eco prim can be used, what's coverage for 800 ft? And approx cost for a 4 gal bucket? If I need to use it I'll have to order it from the turkey tile shop, oh but they'll have plenty of flyers to look at!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I too, personally, would grind it. If you have invested in the proper tooling it is dust free.

Concrete sealers must be removed before Eco Prim is installed. and if you have to remove the sealer there is no sense in using the primer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
All these products are killing me, reading thru floor covering installer (mar/April 2014) Mapei now makes a leveler for extreme conditions water, freezing no moisture vapor limitation.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Can't say about Noble EXT. Maybe Eric missed the sealed part or maybe he's saying it's OK to use EXT over the sealed concrete?

As for Eco Prim, it cannot be used over the sealed concrete BECAUSE a sealer is the bonding point. Eco Prim is relying on the sealer to say adhered. Of course, sealers wear so that's why Mapei does not recommend Eco Prim over a sealed or stained surface.

Scarifying it is...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts