Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got bit by something painful as hell about a month ago (wife says it was LONGER) on the inside of my right leg near the ankle. Damn thing felt like a CONSTANT stinging over, and over, and over again for like a week. Left a hard little lump near the bite....then it spread. Started as a hard lump/red streak up the inside of my calf. Figured, ah it'll heal. It made it's way up to the knee and slowed down...extremely painful hard lump/streak up my leg, but seemed to have stopped. Well, within the last 5 days or so it has gone from the knee to half way up the inside of my thigh in a very wide pattern now. Very painful the whole way, but you know, man's got work to do! Until it got past the knee and my leg could no longer bend more than an inch in either direction I trudged on.

So, finally took my stubborn ass to the hospital this weekend...Guess what? I'm not allowed to walk on the leg AT ALL for at least a couple days till I go back on Mon. I actually had to be given a pair of crutches. Strong course of antibiotics and heavy pain pills. If I don't show improvement then I get admitted when I go back tommorow. It's slightly improved, but I've had a reaction to one of the medications too....GRR.

I don't know if everyone is as stubborn as me. I hate doctors, hospitals, etc...but this time I waited a little too long. Again, a man's got WORK to do. Laying around and hopping on crutches don't cut it for me...

I guess now I'm just angry I waited so long. Figured I'd tough it out, and now I may end up in a hospital bed, doh! Not that it scares me, just bugs the daylights outta me...Not that anyone had to listen, but if you did...don't be as stubborn as me when something is screwey for more than a week, lol!

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
No Bob, that's just a part of what you are mostly made of. AA you didn't say what it was you had. Blood disease, infection, bite from some exotic spider? They have a charming little spider here called the Brown recluse, sounds like you met up with one of those, if you lived here, FL that is. Met.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
metalroofer said:
They have a charming little spider here called the Brown recluse

Thats the first thing I thought of too... disgusting little suckers. Hope it turns out OK AA, and you can get back to work soon.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
AA, It sure sounds like a recluse. I know of three people bitten in the last year and your description fits the bill. In over 50 yrs., I have never known anyone actually bitten until recently. They are nasty little critters.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hope it wasn't a recluse. I have zero exposure/experience with them but I've seen the nasty pictures on the web. Blech.

Good luck!

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It turns out it's an infection of sorts from the bite. I have no idea what bit me, but I doubt it's a brown recluse, because I have no rotten flesh, heh. Maybe it is, I don't know, but I thought they're venom eats your flesh and leaves nasty wounds. Whatever it is got infected and tracked all the way up my leg though. Thanks for the kind words guys....I'm sure you know how hard it is for an active person to not walk...grr. I'll let you all know what happens when I see the doc today. Hopefully, I don't get admitted to the hospital.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
AAPaint said:
I don't know if everyone is as stubborn as me.
Count me as company. I hurt my ankle (probably broken) about 2 months ago and have been telling myself it'd heal since. It gets to where I can walk without pain for a day or two and then starts to hurt again. Now I'm telling myself that it'll require surgery that I don't want to have.
As for suffering a spider bite, my partner's daughter got biotten last year by a recluse and had to have a piece of flesh about the size of a silver dollar removed. I haven't gone out in the yard without socks on since.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news! I didn't get admitted today when I went back....whew! Superficial flabitis is the diagnosis. A blood clot in one of my leg veins...possibly caused by the infection from the bite. They say it's not one of the blood clots that can kill me...GREAT!

Anyway...now I've got a new antibiotic and a course of steroids (blech) to try and knock it out. Hopefully in a couple days I'm back in the field....I CAN'T WAIT!

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hah!! So much for "right back to work". I've now spent over a week and a half in the hospital due to the infection in my leg, and now still have a blood clot. I have to stay on my back with the leg elevated for at least another week. More sonograms to go through, more doctor visits, blood tests, etc. Not the best way to build a new business, but I've got plenty of time to develop more marketing materials, and handle some of the office (blech) crap...Now if I can just go work so that I can afford to do more advertising, lol! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Tough stuff, man, I know where you're at: I fell and cracked my head open eight years ago and it was eight months before I could work again. Drove me crazy (er). Thankfully I had private insurance which didn't pay much but meant I didn't lose the house. Hope you're covered some way, take care, Rich.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hope you get better soon, AA. In the meantime, ask your wife to pick you up some of those really cool paint by numbers kits at the toy store. I know that lying in a hospital room can be kinda boring.

When I was a teen, my father spent several months in and out of the hospital with heart problems. Whenever I came by, he had the window open and the lights on. He kept the atmosphere as "cheery" as possible. And the nurses all loved him. I hope thats what your room is like.

Again, get well soon.

Neil

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
AA, sorry to hear about your problem, gettin' old sucks. Those clots apply to anyone that spends a lot of time standing OR sitting. Wish that the docs could tell us how much of each, I'm notorious for standing.
All of my best to you. Steve

Were you getting online in the hospital? Other than ER, I haven't had to do any time there since tonsils (NY) in '56.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey thanks guys! I was actually able to get online from my hospital bed with the TV, lol! I could only read my mail though, and do SOME browsing...thing was hard to use.

For now, I'm back home with the leg propped up. I swear, I would never wish this pain on any of you. I can't even bend the leg at all right now, but it's slowly getting better. I've been stabbed about 40-50 times with needles in the past couple weeks. Unreal, I tell ya. The clot runs from dang near my ankle to my groin....and it feels like a string almost that tugs and pulls every time I move my leg...but it's excruciating pain, and I have a high tollerance. I actually refused any narcotic pain pills before, during, and after my stay. I must admit to a shot of "dilotid" if I spelled it right....wow, goes in IV, head goes numb instantly. They did that twice. :eek:

So, if it seems like I'm posting a lot, it's because I can't be out in the field doing what I love most....so why not talk about it here, hehe!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Pain doesn't doesn't help healing, take the pills, Rich.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
So, the question begs to be asked.
Being a sole proprietor, do you have health insurance?
A hospital stay like this is enough to break one's bank with a quickness.
I have health insurance through my wfe's employer. My partner and I have life (death) insurance policies that pay out to the corporation. I don't have disability insurance.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I have health insurance through my wife's job, and yes, it's still damn expensive. Not only the cost of the hospital stay, but the loss of work as well. Combine the two, and you can see how devastating it can be. Thankfully, my wife works and makes a pretty good chunk of change at her job. Enough to keep the bills paid and food on the table. If it weren't for that, I'd be flat busted! Things are not as easy as usual, but I have come from the bottom to get to where I am...and I can do it again if I have to. Omnipotence is key....I got that saying from an old friend of mine, and it fits well with my situation.

Hey revievl, I know pain isn't helpful, it never is. However, I seriously doubt narcotic dope is helpful either. I can deal with the pain using ibuprofren and tylenol both as the doctor said. I much rather use those than something that leaves me completely inebriated <sp>....As a life long martial artist, I always think back to what my Sensei said "pain builds character"! I can't stand the thought of willingly gulping down dangerous, addictive pills...and the thing is, they would hand them to me LEFT AND RIGHT!! I was offered Loratab's every FOUR HOURS if I wanted!!!!!! Perkacet, and darvacet as well, all I had to do was say the word. Also, I don't want to fit in with the category of people who visit the doctor specifically for these types of medications....Crazy I know, but safer....the less chemicals the better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My wife is deathly afraid of spiders. One fall morning, long about Halloween, I thought it'd be funny to hide one of those plastic spiders under the bedspread of our unmade bed. I made it a point to be there to help her make the bed. Man, she spotted that fake spider and jumped 3 feet straight up in the air with a blood-curdling scream. She was running when she hit the ground, but rounding the corner of the bed she tripped and blew out her knee. Damn, I felt so bad. Practical joke gone bad. I'm surprised she didn't divorce my ass for that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts