Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use lawn signs? Ive had great success with them, But They disappear quite often. They arent cheap either 10 for $275.00
You have to buy 10 to get that price.
Im thinking about upgrading to the heavy duty real estate signs.
Any thoughts?

·
Fence Professional
13 Posts
Have you shopped around online for cheaper prices? I see signs when I am driving around that have prices identified as $100 for 10 signs all the time. (though these are probably one color print)

In regards to a heavy duty real estate sign, That may not be a bad idea however, I would almost bet that many people would not even look at it in thinking that "at first sight" it IS a real estate sign and they are not in the market for real estate.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Anyone use lawn signs? Ive had great success with them, But They disappear quite often. They arent cheap either 10 for $275.00
Any thoughts?
Holy Canole!

Get the throw away signs, I get 100 for a little north of $500.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you shopped around online for cheaper prices? I see signs when I am driving around that have prices identified as $100 for 10 signs all the time. (though these are probably one color print)

In regards to a heavy duty real estate sign, That may not be a bad idea however, I would almost bet that many people would not even look at it in thinking that "at first sight" it IS a real estate sign and they are not in the market for real estate.

Something to think about.
This is how they get ya, that price if for the smallest sign available, only one side printed, stands not included, etc etc, lol
Vista prints were the cheapest reputable co I saw selling them. The stands are cheap as ****. As soon as a customer goes to cut the grass they pull the sign out and when putting them back most put there foot on the center support and push down with there foot breaking the center support.......
Thats why Im considering upgrading to the real estate signs

·
Remodeling Contractor
43 Posts
This is how they get ya, that price if for the smallest sign available, only one side printed, stands not included, etc etc, lol
Vista prints were the cheapest reputable co I saw selling them. The stands are cheap as ****. As soon as a customer goes to cut the grass they pull the sign out and when putting them back most put there foot on the center support and push down with there foot breaking the center support.......
Thats why Im considering upgrading to the real estate signs
http://www.supercheapsigns.com/ 100 for $280 2 sides 2 color 200 for $448 18x24. I've used this company, with no problems before. Not sure if this includes the stands or not,but either way it's still way cheaper than 10 for $250.
There are others. Stands are the cheap aluminum ones, but what we've found is you cut them in half, stick 1/4 of the H in the sign, the rest goes in the ground, it sits on the ground and less chance of being blown over by the wind.

·
President
1,349 Posts
I took the measurements off a Hunt Realstate sign, then went over the Home Depot, bought the sturdiest for sale sign frame I could find, brought it home, cut it in half, and made it the dimensions of the Hunt sign...

I had my signs made locally... Supporting the local business, cost me $120 for my sign... I have two... each one has like 6? 8? colors? And their big enuogh you can see them and read them from a good 3-500ft away. Their also heavy duty enuff that that you can even pound it into the ground with a small sledge hammer and not hurt it (dont ask LOL)

·
Profit Booster
25 Posts
Supercheapsigns.com are good value for money and good quality, we have used them for clients before.

You also want to thunk about the message you have on your signs. Don't just put your company name and logo put a great headline that connects with someone in the market for your services. Highlight a big fear or desire they may currently have in their mind.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
We used a fellow forum member (Robert at Plan-it Graphics) who took our logo and colors and did all the graphic design for our yard signs - as well as had them printed. These are 36" wide x 24" tall, with a 36" x 6" rider below, full color, printed on both sides and we install them in the heavy duty black Realtor type sign frames.

Less than $30 has been invested in the entire sign. I have 12 that I use and rotate through jobs and they look almost as good today (a year later) as the day I bought them. Of course, I do take care of them, keep them clean and I slide an oversized garbage bag down over them for protection during transportation to and from the job site and while they are not in use.

We get tons of compliments on our signs and have gotten several jobs from people calling in after seeing them. I also know that homeowners appreciate them being in the heavy duty frames which stay upright and in place. Quite unlike those flimsy little "H" steaks most contractors use when plucking a sign in a front yard.

·
Kitchen Cabinets NJ
1,099 Posts
Lawn signs do work great, and the main benefit is that it keeps the conversation going amongst neighbors regarding your service. We have used it from time to time and it does bring in some additional referral business for us. The only shortfall as you meantioned is that you can only really keep it out for a short period of time. As far as pricing goes we have used yardsignwholesale. I think they are pretty reasonable.

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
Vista print is affordable and they do good work...

I Bought the sign for like 30$ and built the frame myself. The sign they sent had a minor flaw--I called and told them about it and they sent me a second one for free. Good customer service on them! Also, I'm really just showing off the frame I built--had this idea in my mind for awhile and it's good to see it finally built. The lettering is not bold enough, so I'll need to buy another, that's my design fault, not theirs.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
That's a beautiful frame, Rock Headed!:thumbup:

I agree about the font. Papyrus(?) is really difficult to read compared to a sans-serif font. I'd ditch the highlighting and either use an outline or a 0 degree drop shadow with a hard edge to clean up the rough edges on the font. If you set the image to fill your computer screen, step back 10-15 feet and see how noticeable and legible it is.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
my bos got more work than wecan handle with no advertisin. all preferals. he never advertis for emloyee either.
That simply just does not work for most, especially specialty trades where project duration spans average a few days..

Sure if yu are a GC specializing in larger builds and projects..this can work..
A god name and rep can keep you going...
i suspect that even in this situation .a fresh supply of leads is needed.

Most guys who claim to never advertise usually are not as busy year round as they proclaim to be..

They just acknowledge when they are busy and forget the holes..

·
Masonry Contractor
83 Posts
Any thoughts?

I've never lost any due to theft or vandalism if that's what you mean. I'm always a bit slow in the winter and took the time to make a few nice yard signs. 4x4 posts and chamfered the edges, put a cap on it with crown molding underneath the cap. The actual signage is plywood with my actual logo and number and all that crap carved into it. Used an old Vinyl sign for a template and carved it out with a router.

I tell ya....I spent two 6 hour days doing them. I thought I may have wasted a bit of time. To my surprise they have been very effective. And are lasting a very long time as well. They have more than paid for themselves. Ill always use a sharp looking sign that shows off a little craftsmanship. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts