Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent my friday night staining a new set of stairs.What should have taken a few hours had me there until 2 in the morning!I've always used oil stain for this type of work but this time the homeowner ordered the stain from the same place he got his hardwood flooring.They sent a latex stain.What a pain in the ass!It drys way to fast so you can't get it consistent and it ends up way to dark in corners.Also if you happen to get a drop on another step and stain it 3 minutes later that drop shows up.I got them stained but they look like crap.I'm not happy with them.I phoned a fellew painter the next morning to get his take.He said he wished he could have warned me.He stained the inside of a home with a latex stain the homeowner ordered and it looked like crap.He had to strip it all down with methyl hydrate/sanding!Doors,cathedral ceilings.walls, everything!The homeowner even phoned the company who made it and they said just keep applying it until it covers!Painter said get them here to apply it because I'm not!He had 300 hrs into the job!So the next time a custumer brings out latex stain I will run.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I tried it a few years ago with the same results, NFG. Like most new things, I tried it on scraps before applying it to a project.

Always practice anything on scraps first! I don't care if it's a new saw blade, router bit, spray gun or whatever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts