Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to paint a bathroom ceiling that is presently coated with a high gloss oil. I am going to recoat with latex.

My plan is to slightly rough-up the gloss finish and cost with a binding primer, then coat as normal with SW flat ceiling paint.

Your thoughts please?

I seem to be getting some conflicting reports on latex over oil. The above listed steps are what the manufacture suggested. But, I wanted to get your opinions as well.

·
Registered
11,674 Posts
I need to paint a bathroom ceiling that is presently coated with a high, gloss oil. I am going to resist with latex.

My plan is to slightly rough-up the gloss finish and cost with a binding primer, then cost as normal with SW flat ceiling paint.

Your thoughts please?

I seem to be getting some conflicting reports on latex over oil. The above listed steps are what the manufacture suggested. But, I wanted to get your opinions as well.
As long as you prime it, you're fine. Pros on other sites have recommended 100% acrylic bonding primers over glossy oils. BTW, SW is having their 30% off paint sale this coming week. Good timing.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I urge you to use Zinsser Cover Stain Oil based primer on the current ceiling to transition it to a latex top coat of your choice. (I don't use any Kilz products)

Clean, lightly sand the oil base ceiling with #150. Wipe down with mineral spirits. Apply oil based primer - will dry in 45 min. Lightly sand it with #150 - #220. Lightly wipe with rag/water. Apply 2 coats latex finish.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
As long as you prime it, you're fine. Pros on other sites have recommended 100% acrylic bonding primers over glossy oils. BTW, SW is having their 30% off paint sale this coming week. Good timing.
Those 30% off sales still didn't beat my contractor discount when I used to do business with SW.

I would use oil base primer and not bother washing. Or if still available I would just recoat with flat oil.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Those 30% off sales still didn't beat my contractor discount when I used to do business with SW.

I would use oil base primer and not bother scuffing or washing.
I always wash off any dirt and film layer. Why wouldn't you want to start with a clean substrate for best adhesion? Are you a sadist, do you want callbacks? :blink:

·
Registered
11,674 Posts

I would use oil base primer and not bother scuffing or washing.
Interesting. I use one of my painter's account numbers and it's a little better than his discount. He's got 5 guys running 6 days/week all the time, and buys mainly SW.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I would use oil base primer and not bother washing. Or if still available I would just recoat with flat oil.
I have an account at SW and I get 15% off.
Not sure how or why they'd give you such a huge discount. I think 10-20% off of list is pretty standard, over 20%? Over 30% and something's wrong somewhere.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I always wash off any dirt and film layer. Why wouldn't you want to start with a clean substrate for best adhesion? Are you a sadist, do you want callbacks? :blink:
I've never had a callback for my workmanship in 25 years. So do you wash every surface you paint?

Not sure how or why they'd give you such a huge discount. I think 10-20% off of list is pretty standard, over 20%? Over 30% and something's wrong somewhere.
I had a very good, long relationship with the manager and employees at my SW, I knew her the day she started. I got constant referrals from them. I quit doing business with SW and if it wasn't for that particular store I would have left them much sooner.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,645 Posts

This is standard for SW. If you buy enough volume in a year, you may be able to get 50% off. Basically, if all the painters in a town use SW, the big guys will wind up crushing the little guys on a straight product cost basis.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
kitchen and bath gloss, yes.
I don't paint often, I got a good painter. :blink:
I do paint often and yes, I do wash or wipe down the surface first - ALWAYS.
Unless you are working in some roach infested place or you know there is something on the surface washing painted surfaces is completely unnecessary. It may actually do more harm than good depending on what you're cleaning it with.

My customers would think I was out of mind if I came in and started washing down their ceilings and walls.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,645 Posts
Bottom line is flat ceiling paint won't have the right sheen putting it on over oil - it doesn't soak in like it will over latex. Not a big deal in my book, a little higher sheen is something I like in a bath, unless the drywall isn't that great. Normally you wouldn't think a bath ceiling wouldn't require cleaning, but there are such a range of aerosols people may use to make it smell better, or spray their hair, or whatever, that I tend to treat them like it's a challenging adhesion area. It's safer that way. Oil based primers tend to give the best adhesion...

The good news is, since it's oil now, you can't have some gawd awful stuff like WD 40 soaked in....

Due to lead RRP, I almost never sand, just clean what needs cleaning.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts