Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started this house the first week of march, and before I could finish it...we had an 8" snow storm, three days it never got above freezing, missed at least two to three days a week on count of rain, and the last week I was there , it got up to at least 78 degrees !

If you don't like the weather in SW Virginia, just hang around an hour or two, it' change! :laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the first pic the chimney looked low in comparison to the 2nd roof. I was actually going to comment on it until I saw these pics hahhaa
:laughing: I went 39" above the gable at the flue thinking I was done! Then I measured over to the other gable and I was only seven foot from it :censored:......so I went another two feet.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you run a vertical control joint for the porch overhang (gable brick?)

Do you feel the need? angle bolted to the beam? Are they post wraps or load bearing columns?

Looks nice :thumbsup:
I didn't run a control joint, the post are load bearing, and the angle iron is bolted to the beam.

I didn't think about a control joint, but it might of been a good idea.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
great question. I am not an engineer but am skeptical out of ignorance. (I don't build anything but solid brick.)
We've bricked several gables like this over the years and hadn't ever had a problem. But I can see where it could potentially be a problem.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts