Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a recent project I did. It was not the normal project in the sense that the home owner had all the materials already sitting in the garage before they called me. They had a different contractor hired, but they had a difference of opinion at the last minute. I didn't have any input in the layout, the wife had done all that. It was up to me to do the work and make it look like it belonged there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,331 Posts
Nice transformation. I love the white cabinets and accent back splash.

Relocating the island appears to have made the space smaller though

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice transformation. I love the white cabinets and accent back splash.

Relocating the island appears to have made the space smaller though

I had exactly 0 input in the design of the kitchen, the HO did that and was sure proud to tell me how good she did.....I just kept my head down and kept working.....lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful work! how long did it take you?
Actual working time, probably 4-5 weeks. The demo was time consuming, kitchen had, laminate floor over commercial carpet over linoleum over some 50 your old vinyl tile with that tarish glue that had to be coated so my thinset would stick :no:.......... Thx for the props!

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Looks sharp... Is that a microwave on the back wall? Range?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Built in microwave. I'll admit, the tile pattern isn't my favorite, but it's sure hard to match the random length look of wood when all the tiles are the same length, but the customer was happy, so I'm happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
No h joints but the stair step is pretty pronounced and the stagger is less than even one width of the board. The rule of thumb is that your shooting for a stagger about 3x the width of the material when laying wood anyway.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No h joints but the stair step is pretty pronounced and the stagger is less than even one width of the board. The rule of thumb is that your shooting for a stagger about 3x the width of the material when laying wood anyway.

I'm not arguing, just discussing, because I like to always be learning. But if you use that formula on a 6"x36" tile, 3x's the width puts you 18". which puts you at exactly half on each piece, so should the staggers all be 12"? or random? That one pic does make the staggers appear close, when you look at the entire floor it looks much better on the whole, I'll see if I have a pic that shows it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not to offend, just asking, how would you have done the floor? Looking at something like this myself, and I also don't like the same size tile trying to look like wood.
If I was going for a random look and without seeing the full room layout, going just off the pictures I would start my tile on the left side. Cut my first tile to a random length and then run my full tiles out. Start my next row with another random length and run them out, etc. I'd just make sure with each row that I'm not starting a pattern, and adjust my first tile if I was.

Personally, I like herringbone pattern with this size tile. It isn't everyones taste but I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Plank tiles are normally recommended to stagger at 25-33% to reduce lippage from crowned tiles. If you follow a straight 1/3rd offset, it stair steps like in front of the sink. You can mix it up with not following a 3 course repeat and keeping stagger mixed. If you have nice flat tiles, the 1/3rd stagger is not an issue and you can keep it random.

Tight grout joints and proper grout color can really help hide the pattern as well. Big grout joints that contrast the tile make it stand out. I usually try to match the grout to the body color so your eye isn't drawn to the outline of the tile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts