41,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not understanding your question.

Mike.

·
GC/carpenter
41,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would keep water from going in between the deck and house if I didn't flash the deck to the house?

Mike.

·
GC/carpenter
41,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to mention it looks better having the stucco return to the house at the soffit.

Mike.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Very nice. I see a typo ... or i can’t read. The para right under the section title “grade beam details” says you cut a 12” trench, but the para under the first set of pictures calls it a 24” trench.

·
General Contractor
7,939 Posts
Mike, nice work as always! :thumbsup:

This is a nice way to do it in a warm climate area where you don't have to meet frost-proof footing depth.
In cold climates, it's doable but since near the house, with a full basement, you would have to go down to the virgin soil which is to the basement's footing depth that would be too much excavation but with properly designed Helical piers it should work.

·
Sean
5,467 Posts
What would keep water from going in between the deck and house if I didn't flash the deck to the house?
I am a big fan of flashing & maybe I misread but didn't you tie the two structures together or are they still separate? If tied together isn't there a way to avoid that / different flashing? If still separate than sorry I misread how you did it & no matter what my comment stands - real nice work & craftmanship

·
GC/carpenter
41,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sean, Thanks for the kind words. The tie in is strickly cosmetic. The deck is completely self supporting.

Mike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts