Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I have become incredibly dependent on my lasers. I like to refer to it as "laser lazy". Well, my two Dewalt lasers have started to have issues. My oldest, the laser seems to have gotten really dim. It's not the batteries (new) or the contacts (cleaned) or the windows (windexed). Does the actual laser wear out over time?

Laser number two, the switch seems to have gotten pretty iffy. It has been dropped a few times, so maybe that contributed to the problem. The switch is so bad that I often give up and grab another laser. What can I expect to see if I open up the laser? Is the switch replaceable? Is it dangerous to even open the laser? Radioactivity?

It might be time to just go spend $200. Both lasers are Dewalt DW084k
What says ye?

·
Super Moderator
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I check it against another laser. I have used lasers for about 7 years and have yet to find one that is reading off.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Morning Wood said:
If you dropped it I wouldn't use it. Might not be accurate anymore. How do you go about calibrating an auto leveling laser BC?
It's very rare they need to be calibrated unless dropped a lot but before sending them away just check it for your self. Get a large room and set laser up then rotate laser 180 degrees then make sure lines are withing specs. I do this every year just to double check. Never had one that's needed calibrating. If its a vertical laser then check with a level you know is true.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
And the fee for this is? Last time I had a tool calibrated it cost me $120 and it didn't even need calibrating but had to have it done.
Forty bucks or so, that months bill also had grinder wheels and saw blades on it, so I would have to pull up the itemized bill, and I am way to lazy to go to that computer to do it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As many of you know, I have become incredibly dependent on my lasers. I like to refer to it as "laser lazy". Well, my two Dewalt lasers have started to have issues. My oldest, the laser seems to have gotten really dim. It's not the batteries (new) or the contacts (cleaned) or the windows (windexed). Does the actual laser wear out over time?

Laser number two, the switch seems to have gotten pretty iffy. It has been dropped a few times, so maybe that contributed to the problem. The switch is so bad that I often give up and grab another laser. What can I expect to see if I open up the laser? Is the switch replaceable? Is it dangerous to even open the laser? Radioactivity?

What says ye?
It may be time to upgrade to a professional quality laser.

The PLS Store | Pacific Laser Systems Alignment Tools

My PLS 5 is 20 years old and still very bright. You buy them from trade dealers who also provide repair.

And no, there is nothing radioactive inside a laser.

·
Registered
GC
520 Posts

What says ye?
Perhaps it's time for new glasses?

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
I'm starting to think that most of the lasers are just use them till they break, buy another one.

Many don't come with pendulum locks anymore. They just get knocked around when stored.

I don't get that. My PLS 180 is like that. Put it in box and the pendulum just bangs whenever you move it.

Same with my laser plumb Bob.

I figure they are consumables.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts