Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have never used a laser before and will be getting one once we decide which one to purchase. Looking seriously at the Bosch GLL3-80 right now. Our main use would be anything interior, and for decks exterior and that's it.

So my question, I can't seem to find any good resources for explaining methods for using a laser like this...
Obviously there is the normal function of level for crown, chair, cabinets, etc. But what else do you guys use it for?

Also when using it for laying out for walls, is the idea to measure off of the wall you want to square to, and rotate the laser until the measurement is the same at both ends, and now you are square
and can measure off of the line which is at a 90 to the existing wall?
I'm just not picturing where you set the laser for this to work out.
Maybe it will make more sense once we have one...

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but any advice on uses for a laser or just the application in general would be awesome.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Xtrememtnbiker said:
So we have never used a laser before and will be getting one once we decide which one to purchase. Looking seriously at the Bosch GLL3-80 right now. Our main use would be anything interior, and for decks exterior and that's it.

So my question, I can't seem to find any good resources for explaining methods for using a laser like this...
Obviously there is the normal function of level for crown, chair, cabinets, etc. But what else do you guys use it for?

Also when using it for laying out for walls, is the idea to measure off of the wall you want to square to, and rotate the laser until the measurement is the same at both ends, and now you are square
and can measure off of the line which is at a 90 to the existing wall?
I'm just not picturing where you set the laser for this to work out.
Maybe it will make more sense once we have one...

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but any advice on uses for a laser or just the application in general would be awesome.
For plumbing i use a pls5 works great.
To plum a wall you can either set it in the bottom track and follow the laser above or set a measurement and follow that.

For leveling i use a cross laser from dewalt same principle set your counter,soffit, etc to your set height and then set the laser at a measurement and go off that.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've got the Bosch....works great inside, outside... not so much. I'm suspicious that my remote receiver isn't working right, that may be the problem. Doesn't want to pick up the laser if I'm more than 10 or 15 feet away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts