Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

laser level school

7K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  Pitto 
#1 ·
Ok, I have seen everyone use these little guys but I have very limited experience with them myself. I have used a little laser chalk line to help align bathroom partitions and i used a laser plumb bob to help me locate the pivot point for a floor door closer that I set. That being said, I feel the need to buy a nice cross line level but i am not sure how i will really use it. What do you use yours for and how has it helped you make more $, compared to the old ways.

BTW, most of my work is commercial door and frame installation, with some bathroom partitions thrown when I cant get out of it.

Also, What are the best units for the price?

#4 ·
I think they were invented for hanging doors.Well maybe not .But a cross line and a used Manfrotto camera tripod that will extend up to 7'.Set the hinge side and head at the same time.There are a lot of good used tripods on Ebay. Photo Buffs are always upgrading there equipment

#6 ·
I have used the Dewalt, Bosch, Ryobi, Porter Cable, and CMT lasers. I use one of them almost every day. Most can be had for around $100 or so on Ebay. The 5 beam ones are nice for squaring up walls for layout. I also like to use the plumb laser for bracing interior walls. Turns it into a one man operation. Set laser on bottom plate, push or pull wall till dot hits plate edge, nail brace.

#10 ·
Amazon is having a sale on the dw088k. Had to pick one up for $126. Have a ton of casework coming up. I used the dw087k on a cabinet job and is a good laser.

Last summer actually same job. I laid out all the unistrut for these huge heavy wood fins for a finished ceiling. I used a bosch dot laser and a spectra line level for layout. I had to got around a 7' tall half wall to establish layout. Those two lasers alone eliminated the need for a helper. Had duct work and conduit in the way. The line level went around everything.

#13 ·
fastcap 3rd hand or their laserjamb will be more help than a tripod.

that said i have both in the truck, but use the thirdhand more.

check youtube for video's, specialy using the laserline as an RL [reference line] and a foldout rule as a staff to check levels of flooring, etc.

uses are countless. just remember which side of the laserline you are working to, and you cant go wrong, unless you drop it out of calibration :sad:

#17 ·
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GLL3-80...&qid=1401067241&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+gll3-80

That is the laser we have. It has the plumb feature like you are talking about but rather than just a dot it's actually got lines going 3 directions. It's great for leveling, referencing, layout, and whatever else you can come up with it to work for.

Once you have it, you use it for things and it speeds up your work immensely.

It has an adjustable base to dial the height in perfectly. I personally don't use a tripod, it takes up too much floor space on the small jobs. I just use a spring pole up to the ceiling and put it on that or stack items to the appropriate height if it's just something quick and easy since it has the base that can raise it up and down.

#19 ·
https://www.hilti.ca/syst%C3%A8mes-de-mesure/lasers-multidirectionnels/r4387

I have this one- Hilti PMC46. It's a tad pricey, but what's the point in a laser that you can't trust? I use mine for plumbing walls, suspended ceiling grids, etc. I find it especially handy for steel stud framing or any interior wall framing. it shines a line on the floor, along the wall and across the ceiling in one shot. As a one-man-band I find it to be a cheap hired man. beats chalking lines by yourself. I have used it to lay out complicated diagonal ceiling grids by measuring and chalking it out on the floor, then projecting it up to the ceiling. There are times that I've used it to measure a distance on a high ceiling by plumbing a dot to the floor on each end and measuring it on the floor rather than crawling up a ladder/scaffold and measuring it in some awkward spot.

#24 ·
I have the Bosch, I read the on line reviews about it because I was curious and a few people say it is not correct, 1 guy even states he got a replacement and it is still not correct. I am wondering if he actually unlocked it? I have not noticed that mine was off, so wondering what he is talking about.

Those reviews sometimes I take with a grain of salt, because some complain either because they dont know how to use the tool or expect it to do something it wasnt designed for.

#25 ·
When I first got my Bosch GLL2 I checked it with my LB-9 and I know the LB is dead on .The Rotor laser followed the Bosch line perfectly.Years ago when I bought the Laser Beacon 9 I paid 3400.00 for it and less than 200.00 for the Bosch a year ago. Lasers sure come a long way.

#27 ·
If you notice the pouch that holds it has a belt loop on it. Your 4' level does not. My laser distance meter also has a belt loop on it and my 16' tape has a belt clip. But not my 100' tape. Times are changing.I am 71 YO and I am changing with it. I think you will be getting your money out of it.As a matter of fact if anything happens to it you will run out and buy another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.