Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laser Grading
#528118 - 11/11/04 04:53 PM Edit Reply Quote

I’m considering purchasing some type of laser controlled grading attachment. Would like to have some input about the good and bad of different boxes or graders. Also opinions of best type of set-up (automatic machine control, receiver on rod, dual or single slope, ect.. As long as were asking questions, Best all around machine to use. Would like to do primarily commercial flatwork preparation (Grading and compaction). Would like to use something in the lines of a Bobcat T190, ASV 50 or 60, or a Cat 257. For the attachment, it would be either a Box Blade and, or Grader Blade. Would like to fit the niche of taking the sub-grade from +/- .1’ to +/- .25’ prior to pouring the concrete slab. Some of this work could be inside buildings.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I've been using alignment lasers daily since 1979. There's plenty of good equipment out there for you to try out. Manufacturers such as Leicca, Topcon, AGL, Spectra-Precision to name a few. Probably as important as the make is the dealer support you have locally. Find out who's moving the systems in your area and start there. Buy only a product that you can get convenient, reliable, use and service support. These tools require regular, specialized service to maintain accuracey. My dealer provides "loaners" when they're in the shop being worked on.

taking the sub-grade from +/- .1’ to +/- .25’
On flat work, a good operator ought'a be able to get you down to within 1.5" (.12') without any fuss. Despite the practical appeal of these guidance systems, I still see only a relatively few contractors using them - mostly specialized work like athletic fields and runway constriuction. Aroundn here 99% of the fine grade site work is still done with small dozers and motor graders. Floor slab work is done with skid-steers and lots of hands.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts