Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you are using lasers for hanging wallpaper?

I must be old school, I mark a plumb line for hanging first strip, hang the first strip with the pattern how far I want the key feature from the ceiling.
I then mark a new plumb line for turning each corner.

I seem to be reading more about the use of lasers for wallpaper, nothing wrong with it but I am not picking up on any advantage.
I also read of them being used to mark out a horizontal line around the room. The way I see it, if the first strip is plumb and you match the pattern perfect every time why do you need a horizontal reference line.

I can see it as an advantage for those papers where the pattern does not run off the edge of the paper so you have no reference to match up each strip. But that is not the examples given for their use.

What am I missing? Maybe someone will convince me I need to be using them.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I don't see a need for a laser just for wallpaper. Would I use mine? Maybe.

Wallpaper is making a slow comeback in this area but I haven't hung any in about 10 years, hardly anyone stocks it....thank you.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am hanging more each year, but still it only makes up a small portion of the interior work we do.
I would be happy just hanging paper but no way there is that kind of demand.
I haven't hung border in years, 10 years ago border was going up on almost every paint job.

·
Administrator
44,138 Posts
You say you just draw a plumb line. Well, you need a level and a pencil to do that. Levels are big. A PLS laser is pretty small. Turn it on and there's your line. It'll fit in a small pouch. Need another line, click, point, there it is.

Might be spendy to have it for this purpose. But if you can use it for other tasks then you might as well use it for wall papering.

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
How many of you are using lasers for hanging wallpaper?

I must be old school, I mark a plumb line for hanging first strip, hang the first strip with the pattern how far I want the key feature from the ceiling.
I then mark a new plumb line for turning each corner.

I seem to be reading more about the use of lasers for wallpaper, nothing wrong with it but I am not picking up on any advantage.
I also read of them being used to mark out a horizontal line around the room. The way I see it, if the first strip is plumb and you match the pattern perfect every time why do you need a horizontal reference line.

I can see it as an advantage for those papers where the pattern does not run off the edge of the paper so you have no reference to match up each strip. But that is not the examples given for their use.

What am I missing? Maybe someone will convince me I need to be using them.
I'm with you, I had a laser and never used it.

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
This was this week at an install. Had approx 900 sq. Ft. of paper to hang. I don't even bring a regular level with me anymore. This is a Bosch GLL2-50. Only complaint is the line width is a bit thick for my liking but I just choose one side of the line to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Overanalyse, I see that level sits on the floor, does it center itself or level itself, am I saying that right? Also how far away will it project a decent line? I can appreciate using one side of the line.

I am so unfamiliar with these that I expected the laser to be mounted on a tripod.
Let's say I wanted a plumb line 20" from a door jamb, if I am across the room trying to get a laser line onto a pencil mark is it a exercise of frustration? I can see me moving the laser line left and right of the pencil mark and never get it where I want it.

I have seen lasers that a mounted to the wall with pins, those clearly wouldn't work for papering.

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
It projects easily 35' or more. This was a narrow hallway so the floor worked best. I just kept moving it for each tile we hung. I make the seems look good but still like a guide when installing digital prints.

It is self leveling. You can mount it to a tripod as well. The thread matches common camera tripods. Also there is a very strong magnet on the back of the base so I will stick it to a metal door jamb or even metal corner bead sometimes.

Also you can use a FastCap third hand pole and stick it to that with the magnet.

Fine tuning isn't terrible but to move the line a tiny amount does take a little playing with.

That said I wouldn't hang paper without one now. I only install digital prints so maybe installing regular residential paper would be different. Everything I hang is heavy duty commercial grade fabric backed vinyl. I am pasting the wall not pasting and booking the paper.

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
Another thing for me is a lot of our walls we paper are 9' or even some as high as 35' tall. At that height a 4 or 6 foot level just isn't practical.

This wall @ FL was approx. 16' high. The laser on tripod was perfect.

In real high walls we will laser the wall and pencil line the top and bottom and then snap a line. This way we don't have to worry about scaffold or the lift being in the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I finesse it by just touching it with my finger and rolling my fingertip. Once you get used to it, you can make tiny adjustments.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts