Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
121 - 140 of 200 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Made this for the Car repair place at the beginning of the driveway. Made him a kitchen years ago.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·

Even put fancy little curly ques in the corners. Green tape is what I use for clamps.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Playing with mirrors today

Picked up some cheap mirrors. Tried 30% at 600mm/min which was the backwards test. The 2 o'clock test was at 50% and the 6 o'clock test was at 80% power. Hard to see in the picture but the 6 o'clock test at 80% was a good improvement over the 50% power.

So then I went a bit haywire and came up with a design with some flowers and dedicated it to the little woman. Went out and got multiple colors of spray paint because I had a plan....

This is probably the most accurate looking of the pictures. Realistically I needed to make the lines fatter in the design for it to stand out better - live and learn, it's only my first real try.

This one has 5 colors. Black for the letters and outer rim designs, red for the roses and purple for the other flowers along with green for the leaves and yellow for the berries.

At the right angle and lighting the colors jump out pretty well. It would have to be hung on the wall with lighting from above to display it this way.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
And our national colors... Paprika, silver and forest green.... Hey, it's what I had in the shop.

Came out nice, I'm gonna have to do this again with some red and blue.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Got some 4" (100mm) round mirrors and some 3 13/16" self stick cork. Figured I'd make some coasters for the people I know.

·
Registered
13,386 Posts
You keep this up and I’ll have to buy a laser, then a 3D printer. I’ll have to retire to find time to play with all this crap…..

Tom

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I'm not retired and I can still play.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts

Been playing with the machine & software off & on, an hour here an hour there. One day last week, I hit a wall with work & just had to take a day off for mental health, so I sat in the air condition all day learning & testing. Everything on the left, is tests on heavy weight kraft paper. Minor changes in power & speed made a lot subtle differences. Finally found the right combination again. I got lucky the first time I tried kraft paper & nailed the right settings. Little boy with the turkey feather. But I forgot to write them down, so it took a couple hours of testing to get the cats in the middle 2 pics back to the right settings. Upper right, is testing on maple veneered MDF. Didn't take near as long to get the right settings on it.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts

Cut 3/8" solid oak another setting.

maple mdf cuts like butter.

Engraved & cut acrylic keychains. Takes about 90 seconds to make these.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts

Last one for now. Top pic is on kraft paper, bottom pic is on antique canvas from some old seed sacks we have. Sprayed it with lacquer first, then lasered.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
That's the one thing mine can't really do, cut through thick stuff. I don't think I can etch acrylic because it's clear. If it was a color I could probably do it.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
That's the one thing mine can't really do, cut through thick stuff. I don't think I can etch acrylic because it's clear. If it was a color I could probably do it.

Mask it & you should be able to I would think. Does yours etch the glass after you remove mirror backing, or just the mirror paint?

You can get 40 watt co2 lasers around $500. They'll cut, etch glass, acrylic & even tumblers if ya get a rotary.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Ya, it etches the glass on the mirror, I actually wish it wouldn't. I have to play around with it to see if I can come up with a set of power settings that will get rid of the backing and not damage the glass. I doubt I can do it and stay within a reasonable time table.

I'm trying pictures on mirror now. Did an initial test and had to lower the power a bit for the 2nd try.

Looks better in the photo than real life, but not to far off. Painted the back white using BIN. But that's not a clean white. I have to get some gloss white.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Tried with a different picture. Used the same settings but it was too much. 3000mm/min @90% power was what I did on the 1st picture, so I did it on the second.

So now I'm trying again but doing it at 3400mm/min @ 80% power. We'll see how this comes out.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
The new one is to the right. Starting to lose definition of my wife's jacket. Faces are better.

Trying again at 3400mm/min @ 65% power. I think it's going to be to little and I'm going to have to adjust the photo to make it work better.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,785 Posts
Pictures are hard, but I'm starting to get the hang of them. Need to learn photo editing software to make the original pics better. Lots of trial & error. Couple pics I took with my phone then etched onto some white particle board off falls from the shop.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
The leaf came out good, the boys need work. Took me a while too. I've found the best media for what I have in the shop is MDF. Don't know what white particle board is. Well. other than it's particleboard that's white. Never heard of such a creature.

Usually use Jarvis dithering, 3000 speed and up to 100% power (5 watts). I've learned for the most part how it needs to look on the screen for it to come out pretty good on the MDF.

Usually I put it into my photo editor and turn it greyscale and then do a clarify once or twice which is a contrast enhancement based on unsharp mask properties.

121 - 140 of 200 Posts