Picked up some cheap mirrors. Tried 30% at 600mm/min which was the backwards test. The 2 o'clock test was at 50% and the 6 o'clock test was at 80% power. Hard to see in the picture but the 6 o'clock test at 80% was a good improvement over the 50% power.
So then I went a bit haywire and came up with a design with some flowers and dedicated it to the little woman. Went out and got multiple colors of spray paint because I had a plan....
This is probably the most accurate looking of the pictures. Realistically I needed to make the lines fatter in the design for it to stand out better - live and learn, it's only my first real try.
This one has 5 colors. Black for the letters and outer rim designs, red for the roses and purple for the other flowers along with green for the leaves and yellow for the berries.
At the right angle and lighting the colors jump out pretty well. It would have to be hung on the wall with lighting from above to display it this way.
Been playing with the machine & software off & on, an hour here an hour there. One day last week, I hit a wall with work & just had to take a day off for mental health, so I sat in the air condition all day learning & testing. Everything on the left, is tests on heavy weight kraft paper. Minor changes in power & speed made a lot subtle differences. Finally found the right combination again. I got lucky the first time I tried kraft paper & nailed the right settings. Little boy with the turkey feather. But I forgot to write them down, so it took a couple hours of testing to get the cats in the middle 2 pics back to the right settings. Upper right, is testing on maple veneered MDF. Didn't take near as long to get the right settings on it.
Ya, it etches the glass on the mirror, I actually wish it wouldn't. I have to play around with it to see if I can come up with a set of power settings that will get rid of the backing and not damage the glass. I doubt I can do it and stay within a reasonable time table.
I'm trying pictures on mirror now. Did an initial test and had to lower the power a bit for the 2nd try.
Looks better in the photo than real life, but not to far off. Painted the back white using BIN. But that's not a clean white. I have to get some gloss white.
Pictures are hard, but I'm starting to get the hang of them. Need to learn photo editing software to make the original pics better. Lots of trial & error. Couple pics I took with my phone then etched onto some white particle board off falls from the shop.
The leaf came out good, the boys need work. Took me a while too. I've found the best media for what I have in the shop is MDF. Don't know what white particle board is. Well. other than it's particleboard that's white. Never heard of such a creature.
Usually use Jarvis dithering, 3000 speed and up to 100% power (5 watts). I've learned for the most part how it needs to look on the screen for it to come out pretty good on the MDF.
Usually I put it into my photo editor and turn it greyscale and then do a clarify once or twice which is a contrast enhancement based on unsharp mask properties.
Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum
A forum community dedicated to professional construction and remodeling contractors. Come join the discussion about the industry, trades, safety, projects, finishing, tools, machinery, styles, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!