Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Well the trick worked for etching glass. This one is done like a picture, where the laser goes back and forth like an inkjet printer, it's called Fill+Line. Right now I have another of the same going where it's called 'Offset Fill' where it draws in each letter individually. This puts a lot more power into the area because the laser is on constantly on the letter.

Probably should have cleaned it before I took the picture.

At least I cleaned it before I framed it. Cheap $3 from from the dollar store :unsure:. Just looking for something that had real glass. And it's thin, less than 1/16" thick

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Well the Offset Fill is significantly better. The image version seems to be directional. If you look at it from one direction it's bold but fades when you look at it from a different direction. The Offset Fill version is bold from all directions.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,079 Posts
There was a French technique using hot sand to darken wood in an artistic pattern on furniture. I forget the name if it, but obviously this could do that.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,079 Posts
Well the Offset Fill is significantly better. The image version seems to be directional. If you look at it from one direction it's bold but fades when you look at it from a different direction. The Offset Fill version is bold from all directions.

View attachment 511352

View attachment 511353
Maybe do one pattern with it oriented one way, and rotate it for a second pattern.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Looking through family pictures I found one of my sister and her husband in Sept '12

Figured since I was on a glass etching wave I'd do something for that. I started out with "Lived happily ever after" when my wife saw what I was doing and she said they had a saying that was on their invitations or something. Got a hold of her hubby and he took a picture of it. I started to just use fonts that I had and then decided to use the actual picture. Used the trace function in LightBurn and played with it for about an hour straightening lined out from jpg jaggies.

1st one I did was smaller and it made it hard to see, plus the lines started to blur together because of the limitations of the line thickness. I'm using a 5x7 frame so things are small to begin with.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,834 Posts
I'm jealous; I wanna play.

About how long to burn that?

How long to do the whole thing start to finish, assuming a good high-rez pic and knowing what you're doing?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well tuning up the picture of the writing took the longest. I'm learning and I learned quite a bit screwing around with this about nodes and how they work in the program. I deleted a node accidentally and the line straightened out. I had been moving them around and straightening each one out. By deleting them it saves tons of time and does the same thing.

I probably spent 2 hours playing with the letters. No rush, it's Sunday and I'm futzing around while learning. Then I have to paint the glass black with tempera paint and force dry it with a heat gun. Then pop it onto the laser and it takes about 11 minutes.

If I could just copy paste the letters in, trace them without having to do the big tune up I could do the whole thing in under an hour.

Still a lot of this is photoshop skills which I'm pretty good at. Lightburn I'm still learning to play with.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
$300 and you can have your own.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,834 Posts
Realistically, at this late date I don't see myself making any money with one. Though I've always had a weakness for techno-toys, that's a bit over my budget and available workspace.

Ironically, I was doing vector drawings for years before getting into construction. Never got all that good at manipulating bitmaps, but pretty decent at nodes/curves etc. It also doesn't help that I'm about as artistically creative as a rock.

I'll just come along for the vicarious ride. :cry:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
So $300 and 4 sq ft is over the limit. OK.... ☹

I really don't plan on making any money with it. Like I said, it was bought to put my logo on my work. I just started watching youtube vids and saw all the things that can be done with it.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,834 Posts
$300, no problem. 4 sq ft, I could come up with, but there's ventilation, staging and whatnot to consider.

The wrath of SWMBO... insurmountable.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Glass and the metal cards hardly need ventilation. Wood, MDF absolutely or some sort of exhaust system. I still need to build mine.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Burned my wife a Mothers Day card. Made it from some 1/8" bending Poplar. I used clear packing tape as the binder and it worked surprisingly well.

Front of the Card

Inside of the card

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
For Mothers Day

And for my son who just became a teacher the beginning of last years school year

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Sno's Dog

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Trout jumping and splashing. 13 3/8" square

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Burned a nice rod

Scenic wildlife

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
So about 2 weeks ago I got some ducting and a fan and hooked them up so that I could connect it to a box for the laser that I hadn't made yet. Got busy and it took 3 1/2 weeks before I built the box. Made it out of 9 mm Baltic Birch

Little primitive with the cardboard top but without it the vent fan doesn't do squat. The 1" opening on the bottom is for air flow into the box.

So next thing for me to do is to make a plexiglass bender. I got myself a roll of 20 and 24 gauge nichrome wire, a spring, an aluminum "U" channel and a power supply. I needed to make the bending jig for at least 24" wide. Slapped everything together and came up with this. ;Ended up using the 24 gauge wire, took full output of the power supply to heat the 20 gauge and I didn't want to always run it at full tilt. You can see the nichrome wire glowing, 210 watts of power to get it there.

I did a test with some clear I had in the shop. Worked well. About 45 seconds heating time.

So I had ordered 2 sheets each of some green and orange plexiglass 24"x48" Wasn't sure if the orange would block the laser good enough, I know the green would but light transmission is poor compared to the orange.

So I cut the plexiglass to 23 15/16"x38 1/2" on the tablesaw. Placed it on the bender, clamped it down and flipped it on. About 1 minute later I lifted the table and set it at 90º and let it cool down. It sprung back a bit and I warmed it back up 2x and got it to 90º.
Nice crisp bend and exactly where it needed to be.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts