Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Remodel
29,079 Posts
A little trick with write speeds, depending on how you software and hardware work. Split you file into 2 files, one for the fine work, and one for the bigger stuff. You may be able to write faster on the big stuff that way. Downside is loading up 2 files instead if one.

Might help, might not. If the spot size and power is part of the file, you should be able to write the bug stuff much faster. Can't say for sure, but it's food for thought.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The program allows for layers so I can control individual lines and segments for power and speed and distance from laser strike to laser strike.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,079 Posts
The program allows for layers so I can control individual lines and segments for power and speed and distance from laser strike to laser strike.
If it had programmable beam size (programmable focus, perhaps) you could double the beam size, run maybe 89% power and get 4 times the throughput on the big stuff.

Something like that...

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The laser is fixed focus. So no-go there.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
My brother is getting a standard poodle without the haircut normally associated with it. I'm making him a burning of a poodle that I modified the haircut. His name is Elroy so we also included a picture the the Jetson's Elroy with a jet pack on.

View attachment 510981

Still working on it now It'll be my longest burn at about 2 3/4 hours. Making a guy in a boat catching a fish for my Dad next. That burn will be a bit longer.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
24,967 Posts
Wow. Nice stuff.

Reactions: hdavis

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

Where's the Kaboom!? There's suppose to be and Earth shattering Kaboom!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
More like artistic property theft :whistling

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Next one up is for my other son the teacher.. Just a computer drawing so far.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
And this one should be interesting. I'm going to try to etch this on glass. My laser can't etch glass directly, wrong color to do transparents. But there is a cheat. Spray it with a black tempera paint (water base kids paint). Place it on a white tile with the paint down against the tile. With the laser focused on the paint, shooting through the glass the black paint creates enough heat that is trapped between the tile and the glass it etches the glass. Hoping this comes out, I think I'll put a royal blue or purple felt behind it in an 8x10 frame.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,664 Posts
Welp, I gotta say, you've peeked my interest & got me to doing a lot of reading & watching videos to see if this laser would fit the needs I envision. The more I read, the more I realize, if I'm getting in, I'm getting all the way in.

Looks like this is the machine I'm leaning towards

We've got quite a few antique etched windows in our own home & built into our cabinets. I can see adding laser etched glass to some of our custom cabinets as a good selling point.

Another thing, with the disabled group we work, one of the things we do in our shop, is make picture frames for all the landowners who open their farms to us, as well major financial contributors. Currently, I have to send them out for laser engraving, having a laser in house, will allow us to more easily personalize our appreciation frames & plaques. I'll likely add rotary so we can engrave personalized tumblers & such. With our business logo, as well as our disabled organization logo. Lots of possibilities.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yep, that'll be the next step for me if I go there. But right now it's a toy to play with and more than good enough to put my logo on my work.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,664 Posts
Yep, that'll be the next step for me if I go there. But right now it's a toy to play with and more than good enough to put my logo on my work.

View attachment 511325

Without a doubt, it's good enough for that application.

Part of what weighed my decision, was reading all the time I would have to spend building an enclosure, finding laser safe acrylic fan, camera, air assist ventilation ect, ect, & gave that time an hourly shop rate & realized by the time I got it up to speed, I'd be at least 1/3rd the cost of the one I listed. Well, that's how I justified it when justifying it to Jenny. :)

I'm going to speak with the rest of the Board of Directors for Missouri Disabled Sportsmen about covering a portion of the cost, since my primary reason for purchasing it, is for the appreciation frames & promotional items we can run with it. I'm pretty confident we can assign a $ amount towards each frame & commit to producing a certain amount for their investment in the machine.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts