Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I hope my machine lives up to your expectedly high expectations.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Figured out how to bypass it. I entered the machine in manually.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Apparently I'm part of the problem. The laser is coming straight from Hong Kong. Says it shipped on the 12th and will be here the 16th.

Holy crap that's fast

·
Radical Basement Dweller
24,957 Posts
Talk is cheap.

I ordered some stitching twine a few years ago. Shipped from China.
Took a month.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Shipping DHL. The company says they won't use UPS anymore because of disputes with a single damaged order. I didn't even know DHL was still in the US. I had a buddy that worked deliveries for them years ago, got laid off when the shut down more or less.

Most commenters on the site say 4-8 days.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
24,957 Posts
Got a tracking number?

My stuff came by ship. Sounds like yours will take a jet.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It's been at my house for an hour now and I'm still at work.

I can't believe how much will power I have right now... :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I brought the box to the shop and assembled the engraver. I watched the assembly videos 1/2 dozen times since I ordered it assemble was done more or less without instructions. The only part I had to go back to the video for was the zero Y axis limit switch. Most of the videos didn't show that detail so I had to look around to find it. Took about 20 minutes to put it together.

Then I cut a board, made some corner stops and mounted the laser engraver to it. Then I made a program that put grid lines on the board that were 1/2" square to ease alignment along with a center X.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The first program I ran was my logo

I did several tries at it to figure out what worked best. Takes less than 30 seconds

Then I did an Owl for my wife. Took about 1 minute

And then I had a dragon that I did. Took about 8 minutes.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My brother is getting a standard poodle without the haircut normally associated with it. I'm making him a burning of a poodle that I modified the haircut. His name is Elroy so we also included a picture the the Jetson's Elroy with a jet pack on.

Still working on it now It'll be my longest burn at about 2 3/4 hours. Making a guy in a boat catching a fish for my Dad next. That burn will be a bit longer.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Did a business card on Aluminum stock with a black paint. Right at the limit of what my laser can do I think. 100% power and 100mm a minute for good results.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Ya, that laser isn't getting anywhere near that.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So during the day I modified the program and ran about a dozen business cards. The first one, shown a few posts above was done 100% laser power (~5.1 optical watts) and 100 mm a minute (4"/min), took 46 minutes. I started playing around with the power and found that 90% seemed to be the magic number. Running the laser at 100% will shorten it's life a lot faster. I was able to get it up to 400mm/min (16"/min), I think it was down to 13 minutes a card.

I had to go get a contract signed and was going to give the guy one of the metal cards. On the back of the cards I was writing in magic marker the speed and power I did the card with so I could find that magic number that gave me a nice looking card with the least power and fastest speed.

So I used Denatured alcohol and wiped the magic marker off the back of the card, wanted to make sure it didn't damage the coating - it didn't. So I wiped the front of the card that was engraved and it just lit up. I figured out "the secret".

So I was able to do a few more cards before I had to go get the contract signed and then after I got back I kept going. I was able to get it up to 550mm/min and the power down to 70%, time for the run is down to 9 min 30 seconds. But I have to clean it off with the Denatured Alcohol to make the card light up. I guess it's the ash left behind that is making it look dull, the DNA cleans all that off.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well with "the secret" I was able to bump the speed up to 700mm/min and the power down to 20%. I can do a card in about 8 1/2 minutes. The machine is close to it's limits for speed, it can't go faster with the small movements the letters require. I don't think I'll be able to get the time down much further unless I eliminate lines of text.

Here's before and after "the secret"

I made something for the back of a card for when I finish up a job I can toss it in a drawer. It'll have the business card on the backside.

I tried a pencil and it worked. I filled it with colored wax.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts