Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one of the lesser expensive ones? What do you have and what do you think of it.

I saw Tom had what looked like a laser etched logo on one of his drawer sides and it got me hunting around looking at the different lesser expensive options. Looks like it could be a fun and helpful tool with a lot of different uses.

Some of them have a pretty limited area that it will engrave, 4" x 4" and others have much larger areas of about 14" to 16" square. Primary use would be for logo etching but I'm sure I could find lots of other uses for it.

·
Registered
13,503 Posts
Leo,

I got a branding iron to do my logo.

I’m learning Fusion 360, when I get the program figured out I may get laser engraver/3D printer.

Tom

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was one of them I was looking at. It had a pretty good sized surface that it can etch.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,002 Posts
IMO....you not only need one...you have to have one.

Very cool and I didn't realize they would be that inexpensive.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They can engrave leather. You need one too.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the time you're done it should be less than $500.

The laser engraver itself, the software package is about $40 (Lightburn) and building an enclosure with a fan, laser safe acrylic, lights and ducting so you can get rid of any smoke generated and have a safe system.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,799 Posts
So, for someone who's not real tech savvy, how hard are they to operate?

I build picture frames for our disabled organization to send out to sponsors, volunteers & landowners with laser engraving thanking them for their support. Right now, I send them out for engraving. If its not real complicated, I would imagine we'd purchase one to complete the whole process in house.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can figure it out. Watch the video I put in the thread and then search YT or Bit Chute or Rumble for Ortur Laser Master 2 and there's quite a few unboxing, building and setting up of the laser.

Of course you'll have to learn how to use it with the materials you engrave, so there will be a trial and error period.

·
Registered
GC
1,093 Posts
By the time you're done it should be less than $500.

The laser engraver itself, the software package is about $40 (Lightburn) and building an enclosure with a fan, laser safe acrylic, lights and ducting so you can get rid of any smoke generated and have a safe system.
This is exactly right. Few seem to understand how dangerous these things are. If that laser passes over your eyes your blind. If it reflects off of something you might be very lucky and have some vision remaining.
Depending on what you're engraving, the fumes can be toxic.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,799 Posts
Anxious to see how you make this all work. I would imagine I'll be buying one.

·
Registered
13,503 Posts
So, for someone who's not real tech savvy, how hard are they to operate?

I build picture frames for our disabled organization to send out to sponsors, volunteers & landowners with laser engraving thanking them for their support. Right now, I send them out for engraving. If its not real complicated, I would imagine we'd purchase one to complete the whole process in house.
Again, FB friend (actually know him in real life also) upgraded from the one Leo ordered to a 60 watt fully contained unit. It was about 6K (he does a lot of engraving for others). I asked him about the software, he said Lightburn is very simple to learn.

Tom

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And at $40 pretty inexpensive.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anxious to see how you make this all work. I would imagine I'll be buying one.
Me too. From the reviews it looks like it takes a full week to be delivered. Especially ordering it on a Saturday.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can do some pretty neat stuff

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Little bummed right now. Downloaded LightBurn so I could learn some basics on how to use it and it won't even start up until you have an engraver plugged into the computer. So now I have to wait until the unit arrives until I can even play with the software. Really hope I don't have to have it plugged in the engraver after it detects what machine it has to export G code too. That would be really inconvenient.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,294 Posts
I feel your pain, especially since I'm looking forward to vicariously experiencing your new toy experience.

I'd say that's well worth an email to the developer, explaining that a demo mode would not only get you a head start on using the app; it would also help you evaluate its usability prior to purchase of the hardware it's meant to be used with (little white lie there).

1 - 20 of 223 Posts