Anyone here have experience?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
How about stack wood construction?

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
Cob looks so much more interesting, versitile and fun.

No experience, just read books and websites. This book in particular:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hand-Sculpted-House-Practical-Philosophical/dp/1890132349

It seems most people doing natural building nowadays are doing mixed techniques, for example using strawbale for the north facing wall for the added insulation, cob elsewhere for the thermal mass. With clay based construction, you can marry all the different types together...for example cob, strawbale, wattle and daub, slip-straw, ect.

Earthbag I would not go near.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
here in NM adobe is pretty common in expensive homes. It is essentially cobb made into blocks. Contents are earth/clay/straw/water. The adobe's are made in wood forms then set out to dry in the sun. It seems that it would be difficult to get proper drying with straight cobb construction.

·
Stone Guy
369 Posts
curious why?
Plastic bags? Nah. Maybe it's just a personal taste thing....
I don't want to bad-talk any building style, so I'll just say that I'm falling fast in love with cob. If I could I'd love to build cob houses for a living--and one day I very much hope to. A quick internet search will reveal some of the most beautiful homes you'll ever see built from cob and similar. Seems to me like cob has got to be one of the most versatile building methods around, works quite well in conjunction with stone work, log work, can transition smoothly into wattle and daub, stawbale, masonry, ect.

There are plenty of examples of cob buildings that have stood the ages.

Lots of good stuff here:
http://naturalhomes.org/

·
Knows less all the time
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Plastic bags? Nah. Maybe it's just a personal taste thing....
I have similar thing for the bags, except if i was to use empty cement and lime bags on certain projects.

I like rectangle buildings (and vaulted roofs) so i am leaning towards rammed earth as i dont like the straw thing.

·
mason contractors
487 Posts
I have similar thing for the bags, except if i was to use empty cement and lime bags on certain projects.

I like rectangle buildings (and vaulted roofs) so i am leaning towards rammed earth as i dont like the straw thing.
Fundi, nice video and very interesting, but I would think it would be buggy. The guy is obsessed for shure...he's overwhelming himself.

On another note, did you ever figure out what caused the vaulted roof to fail?

·
Knows less all the time
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On another note, did you ever figure out what caused the vaulted roof to fail?
In the second post of that thread I attempted to explain the cause. Basically it was wrong pattern and some substandard brick in the bottom of the groin. built two more big groined vaults since then, both are okay after 2 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts