Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to make mirrored doors for a closet cabinet. There are 3 doors, 2 are 13"x7', and one is 22"x7'. I'm going to go with full overlay to maximize the mirror space, so that when the doors are closed it will nearly look like one mirror (except for the 1/8" reveal). I'm trying to minimize the weight of the doors (because the mirrors will be heavy even w/o the slab) but at the same time I want it to be sturdy. I plan on using 1/2" pre finished edge banded birch for the slab. The doors (w/ mirror installed) will weigh approx. 63lbs for the 22"x7' door and 37lbs for the 13"x7' doors.

My question is: will euro style hinges still work for this? If i use 6 for the large mirror door and 5 for the small doors? I'll use magnets on the top and bottom of each door for a catch. My other question would be what type of pulls, I should be able to mount a pull on the face of the glass, correct?

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I haven't worked with glass or mirrors much and I want to make sure I'm figuring everything correctly.

-Jordan

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I agree with your use of 1/2" plywood. You will need to scrub the finish off the one side though.

I'm not exactly sure if it makes a difference or not but what I do on those tall doors is place a couple hinges closer together at the top and bottom. I figure that is where the pressure is and could use more support there. Also it doesn't look quite as cluttered. I could be full of crap. Take it for what you paid for it. :)

Resist the urge to use 170 degree hinges. I find that the extra linkage in those weaken the hinge. The heavy doors will sag in short order. Use a straight arm hinge.

Have you considered touch latches? If you do, you will need free swinging hinges.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input Gus and Kato! I believe I will use the touch latches, as well as the free swinging hinges.

According to the manufacturers specs, the hinges should work fine. I had considered piano hinges, but all the doors are on the same cabinet unit, it is supposed to appear (at least as close as feasibly possible) to a solid mirror. The side doors will open in towards the center, allowing a three way mirror of sorts. Thanks again for the input :thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I would build separate boxes and overlay the hinge side by 11/16". This way you may be able to ship them fully assembled and the double wall strength can't hurt.
Place a hinge near the top and bottom also.

Keep us up to date

·
Vendor
77 Posts
Thanks for the input Gus and Kato! I believe I will use the touch latches, as well as the free swinging hinges.

According to the manufacturers specs, the hinges should work fine. I had considered piano hinges, but all the doors are on the same cabinet unit, it is supposed to appear (at least as close as feasibly possible) to a solid mirror. The side doors will open in towards the center, allowing a three way mirror of sorts. Thanks again for the input :thumbsup:
The place I go when I am not sure about hinges is hardwaresource.com...they are pretty knowledgeable on the phone when I call...1-877-944-6437. Nice people

1 - 6 of 6 Posts