Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that large, really. About 12 feet by 12 feet. Six units. French door with sidelite windows to left and right, then a three-unit arched transom over. See the pics of the house done this way.

Photos from website of stock plans-seller, and plans show all six as separate units, not mulled in shop or factory by window supplier.

So, what is the makeup of the sticks between? Two thicknesses of 2x6 are right for the look, and it may be what was done to produce what is in the photos. Three 2x6s between, vertical and horizontal, make for way-too-wide trim.

What have you done?

Attachments

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Not that large, really. About 12 feet by 12 feet. Six units. French door with sidelite windows to left and right, then a three-unit arched transom over. See the pics of the house done this way.

Photos from website of stock plans-seller, and plans show all six as separate units, not mulled in shop or factory by window supplier.

So, what is the makeup of the sticks between? Two thicknesses of 2x6 are right for the look, and it may be what was done to produce what is in the photos. Three 2x6s between, vertical and horizontal, make for way-too-wide trim.

What have you done?
(2) 2x's wide.. and by the time you build in the ro... it works out to a nice width to trim out.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Andersen has a steel reinforcement mulling kit for multiple window units. We used them many times on coastal homes.

[PDF]
Reinforced Mullion Joining Components (1990 to Present)
www.windowparts.com/v/vspfiles/files/PDFs/Reinforced_Mull.pdf

Andersen strongly recommends consultation with an experienced structural engineer, ... Gusset Plate Kit - Steel Reinforced Mullion / Doors / ET ... Reinforced_Mull

·
Registered
2 Posts
LvL studs for straightnes (yes I know that's not a word;)) and rigidity. King stud all the way up both sides, jacked left and right... ledger locked to horizontals... door a 2/6 2/6? Triple [email protected] 5 1/4" would trim out just dandy in there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, thanks for the replies.

To clarify, this group is six separate holes as I currently have it. Three across bottom, three across top. See the image below for the finished look, which has a single-panel fixed "door", then a slider door, then another single panel, these across the bottom.

Framing for walls is 2x6 SYP, and the posts between are going to be paired 2x6s. More than adequate for the loads. Full height of the opening, which has a large header all the way across.

Simpson A35 clips will help tie the crossbar 2x6 pairs to the posts, and Simpson post bases will clip the posts to the floor, which is the slab foundation.

Those post bases are meant for 4x4s, and will project 1/4" into the door openings. No big deal, we hope. Bearing will be more than adequate for the loadings on the posts. Cannot really think up a better way to anchor these to the slab.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Window rep has a CAD drawing from me showing all details of the three transom windows, done so when installed with posts and spacings, the curve is continuous. W x H, spring lines dimensioned, radii shown, ref points dimensioned. More than enough to get it right.

Or wrong. ;) From my days in commercial work, I have learned to check those submittal prints very carefully. However many go-rounds on paper to get it right, up front, before release to make. I hate mistakes on stuff it takes a month to recover from.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That header is not picking up what you may think it is, Andrew. Ground snow load (gsl) is only 5 psf where this is getting built. The analysis (I use Forte by Weyerhaeuser) says that 3 inches of bearing each side is plenty. There is more dead load from roof and ceiling than live on roof.

Thanks for looking.

·
Framing Contractor
427 Posts
Willin said:
OK, thanks for the replies.

To clarify, this group is six separate holes as I currently have it. Three across bottom, three across top. See the image below for the finished look, which has a single-panel fixed "door", then a slider door, then another single panel, these across the bottom.

Framing for walls is 2x6 SYP, and the posts between are going to be paired 2x6s. More than adequate for the loads. Full height of the opening, which has a large header all the way across.

Simpson A35 clips will help tie the crossbar 2x6 pairs to the posts, and Simpson post bases will clip the posts to the floor, which is the slab foundation.

Those post bases are meant for 4x4s, and will project 1/4" into the door openings. No big deal, we hope. Bearing will be more than adequate for the loadings on the posts. Cannot really think up a better way to anchor these to the slab.
Looks good, I might use a double joist hanger in place of the A35 clips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts