Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Toshiba Laptop with 3 Hard drives. I use two for various crap, But one hard drive, a new one, is acting goofy.

I install, and get nothing, no promt, just the Toshiba memory kicks in. I've tryed F10, F2, esc while I start, Toshiba restore disk.

Am I missing something? (besides brain cells,..... can't leave a door open like that for you fellas)

Any ideas?

Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Three hard drives? Are they internal or external? Do you switch them out when you want to go from work to play, etc? Just curious.

Have you ever gotten the new drive to work in the laptop? How big is it? How old is your laptop?

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man hunted fish with rocks when they made my Laptop. It's a 225CDS.

I use one of the other two for job pics, I use the other for misc biz.

They are all internal, but the design makes it easy for me to switch them out.

No, I've never gotten the new one to work.

Bob

·
Registered
83 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is that the new drive is not compatible with your "dinadaur" (thats what my then-3-year-old called a dinasaur"). There may be some type of drive "overlay" software that will trick your older system into recognizing it or your system BIOS may need updating. There's a chance that a BIOS update came out in the spear-fish hunting era. Let me know if I talked too geeky.

Its a Satellite 225CDS? What type/size/mfg hard drive did you get?

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Is it a primary or slave drive? And did you set it as such?

Not really sure but just trying to think it through with you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So, your "new" one is actually new to you?

Do you have a bootable floppy disk? If you can boot to the floppy, then try to access the C drive. (at the command prompt, just type C: and then hit the enter key). If it lets you, type DIR and then hit Enter key after you are at the C:\ prompt. See if it hangs on you anywhere or gives errors while displaying the directory information.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Wow 1.3 gig, no wonder you need so many. I have a 20 gig and one of the smallest laptops known to man. I have all my photos, installation videos, documents, etc... and more than 10 gig of spare space.

Perhaps it is time to upgrade and no longer have to deal with multiple drives. Keep in mind the more moving parts in any machine, the more chance for failure.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Bob, If you'd like to update, I have Win 98 on disk. I could copy it to floppies but you'd have to pay the postage. Are you running 3.5 or 5.4? LOL

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Bob, I'm in driving distance of you. I got a Dell Latitude, works fine, I'd be willing to let go of it for cheap. Give me a shout if interested. 866-546-4388
Only problem is it runs win2K and I'm using office2003xp, and it gives me an error message every once in a great while when I try to print out a document, everything else is tops.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Allrighty, its a Dell Latitude CPi
Pent II 400 mhz
5.6 gig HD
256 mb memory
got interchangable floppy/cd rom drive
56k modem card
10/100 network card (for hi-speed)
comes loaded w/software:
Nortons AV 2002 updated and good til April '05
Windows Start-up Inspector
Adaware SE 1.5
Windows Media player ver. 10 w/K-lite codec pack
WinZip
Ben Moore Personal Color Viewer
Hoyle poker
IE / outlook
M$ office 2003xp which comes with word, excel, access, outlook,
powerpoint, publisher, office tools, etc.
MSN
and software for SBC dsl; hp printers, scanners, cameras; quickidrive USB removable media storage

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Sounds like a big step Bob. Will it network with your Commadore 64?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
1000? My second computer. I could even change the colors on the monitor from black on grey to black on yellow. Ah! The good old days.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts